Menu

Face book---can anyone give me the very basics?

I just joined face book today but really don't know what I am doing.

I have gotten a few messages from people I know that I clicked on when it asked me at the registration. How does it know that I know these people????

Then I have gotten 2 messages from people that I know but didn't click on---how did they find me in the first hour I was on facebook? One I haven't seen in 20+ years and the other in about 15 years. One I don't mind reading my stuff, the other, since I don't know her well, really don't want her on my pages.

I need a Facebook for dummies lesson here.

I just joined face book today but really don't know what I am doing.

I have gotten a few messages from people I know that I clicked on when it asked me at the registration. How does it know that I know these people????

Then I have gotten 2 messages from people that I know but didn't click on---how did they find me in the first hour I was on facebook? One I haven't seen in 20+ years and the other in about 15 years. One I don't mind reading my stuff, the other, since I don't know her well, really don't want her on my pages.

I need a Facebook for dummies lesson here.

The people who were there instantly are probably people who have sent you invitations in the past. The people who showed up soon after probably saw your name in a mutual friends news feed. (ie. mutual friend is now friends with Ottakee). It all happens fast and furious in the first few days, but does slow down. :-)

Feel free to ignore a friend request and even block the person so that they won't continue to send friend requests. The other person isn't notified if you ignore them.

Have fun! I love facebook!

Edited by Oak Knoll Mom
correction

Joe Blow joins FB, and lists he graduated from XYZ High School in 1990. Anyone else who lists XYZ HS can see who else is there. I love hearing from old friends. Those who don't want old acquaintances, don't list their schools, or make up a pseudonym and keep in touch with those THEY choose. (It is a bit more complicated. They must notify friends IRL to verify "I'm Joe Blow from FB with a made up name.")

Totally LOVE FB. Considering allowing my children to have accounts to keep in touch with out of state friends--otherwise I pass FB messages from their 9 year old peers to them/

One of the first things I would do is change your Privacy Settings. If you don't, even people who aren't on your "Friends" list can see your friends, how many friends you have, your pictures, your profile/personal info, etc. You also might come up now on web search engines.

You change your settings for privacy by:

Top right - mouse over "Settings"

Scroll down and click on "Privacy"

Then just click "Change" for whatever settings you would like to change. I changed all of mine as soon as I signed up.

This is the best way to change who can search for you, if you can be found on web searches, etc. You control the level of your settings.

Lastly, click "Ignore" to any friend requests you have from people you do not recognize or whom you do not want having access to your posts, pictures, profile information, etc. If facebook automatically added friends for you, it is very easy to remove those friends if you aren't comfortable having them on your friends list.

Hope this helps. :)