Menu

Classical Conversations... where would a sixth grader fit?

Bess

I'll have a 6'th grader starting in the fall, and am interested in Classical Conversations. This would be his first year attending. Would he go into a Foundations class? If so, how long would he be in that class? Is it even worth him going into this at such a late stage? From my understanding the "Essentials class" is the next level up, correct? Would it be better for him to just start there?

Foundations is the memory/art/science portion, and Essentials is the English grammar/writing portion. You can do either or both for 3rd grade and up, and just Foundations for PK through 2nd. Many people start Challenge, which is a one-day-a-week school, in 7th, but some do an extra year of Foundations and Essentials as 7th grade.

I currently teach four 6th graders in Foundations, and one is new to the program. His family has decided to have him do another year of Foundations and Essentials before Challenge, but some people in that situation do just one year of Foundations and Essentials and then go on to Challenge or other options. One of the other three is going up to Challenge after three years of Foundations and Essentials, and the other two are planning on attending Christian school next year.

It is totally worth starting in 6th instead of 7th. In 7th, there's a crash review of Foundations, which will put your child more at ease if it is... review.

Also, some kids go up at 12 and some at 13. It's a developmental issue versus an age distinction.

I also think that it is easier to go into Challenge knowing the other students. Another consideration is that you will have a better understanding of writing and grammar with a year of Essentials being done.

I believe that if they have a better first Challenge year...with at least a year of Foundations and Essentials (which is the grammar/writing) year behind them.

This also gives you a year to start latin....before Challenge A. Maybe you can get some hints from someone else about that:-)

Carrie:-)

PS, come join our social group, right on this board:-)

Foundations is the memory/art/science portion, and Essentials is the English grammar/writing portion. You can do either or both for 3rd grade and up

:iagree:

Foundations is generally in the morning from 9-12 and Essentials is from 1-3 in the afternoon. HTH!

I have two 5th graders, six 6th graders and one 7th grader this year, all first timers in my Foundations and Essentials classes. I would venture to say that they have all benefited tremendously. :001_smile:

hth,

Georgia

I have two 5th graders, six 6th graders and one 7th grader this year, all first timers in my Foundations and Essentials classes. I would venture to say that they have all benefited tremendously. :001_smile:

hth,

Georgia

So do all of yours do *both* Foundations and Essentials? ($$$!!!)

We joined CC originally for Foundations, but I soon decided that my darlings would benefit from a group English grammar and writing class. We haven't been disappointed.

P.S. And yes, all of my 6th grade Master's class do both Foundations and Essentials, and same with the 5th grade Master's class. There are a few in the 4th grade Journeyman class that don't do Essentials.

Edited by GVA

Bess, I thing GVA meant that the in the classes she tutors she has that break down of students. As for the $ for your family, try to think of it as music lesson money. Many don't think twice about spending $ on music, sometimes even from advanced musicians that are a lot more money. My one dd is in both F & E and is benefitting tremendously. I consider it money well spent. [really this is from a mom, not a CC Challenge A director] :D