Menu

New here...WTM and Teaching Trivium books

These are very different approaches to "Classical Education."

The Blundorn's (of "Teaching the Trivium") re-define "classical" to mean "good" which they define as "Christian". And, for many people, their interpretation of Christian values can at times seem pretty extreme.

From their website:

We choose to limit our meaning of "classical" to include only what is of good form and lasting value (= classical), and which conforms to a Biblical standard within a Biblical worldview (= Christian). We must carefully sift everything which is classical in the humanist sense through the critical screen of the Scriptures, and we must give whatever passes that screening a new meaning within the Biblical worldview. So, by "classical," we do not mean all culture and literature of ancient times, or of mediaeval times, or of renaissance times, or even of colonial American times. We do not want to revive some previous period of supposed glory. We are not bound to the classical humanist literature or tradition. We focus instead upon what – out of all of these cultures and times – is redeemable for Christ. We want to sort through the rubble and redeem only what we can bring into conformity to Christian order and under the rule of God’s law.

While co-opting the term "Classical" the Blundorn's reject the basic premises the of classical tradition, and in its place substitute a program which advances own highly particularist worldview.

HTHs

Bill

We use and really like the Teaching the Trivium method. The book itself is Christian, but I think you could adapt it to be secular if you wanted. You can go to their website at http://www.triviumpursuit.com and read a few of the articles. I think some of the basic differences is that the Bluedorns divide up the Trivium a little differently. Early knowledge is before age 10, knowledge level is 10-12, understanding level 13-15, and Wisdom level 16-18- I believe. It does tell you things to do for each level, but no specific curricula. It does give you an idea of suggested schedule, and a question and answer area. It is my most used book.

WTM divides learning into 3 levels (grammar (6-9), logic (10-13), rhetoric(14-18)) and gives you curricula suggestions as well. It has a suggested daily routine, but it overwhelmed so many people and I am not sure if they took it out or not, but there was some talk on it. It is a secular work and talks mostly on education, not really life itself. I hope that helps point out some of the differences.

Edited by Free Indeed
adding ages