Menu

Kindle 2 - Speech to Text no longer a feature?

From what I've read, it will now be an "optional" feature. Amazon is going to let the publishers decide to keep or disable that feature on their books. Here is an article.

It's a neat feature- amazing really- but it doesn't even come close to a professional voice actor on an audio book. Amazon is hoping that most publishers will decide not to disable the text to speech feature.

I guess we'll see how it goes...

I love it for reading books... and I don't see myself using the TTS feature very much, personally. I feel badly for those who have vision impairments and were counting on the TTS technology, though.

The K2 has better wireless coverage and some other design improvements over the K1.

But if you were going to rely on the TTS feature... I'd say don't get it; you won't be able to rely on that feature. If you're in an area that has good wireless coverage for the original K1, I've seen bunches of those for sale at fairly good prices! I've never seen a K1 in person though, so can't give you a good comparison between the two. Also, I don't know how many people may be returning or selling their K2's due to this announcement... so there may be some used/refurbished ones available soon.

For my needs, the K2 is great, TTS feature or not. This issue does go to show that terms and conditions can be changed, though.

Edited by Mekanamom