Menu

Latin study group for adults

I'm considering starting a study group at my church for adults who would like to learn Latin. The idea is still bouncing around in my head, but my current idea is to pick a curriculum and each study it at home. Then every 2 weeks we would get together to talk about what we've been studying and possibly do an interesting activity or two. I do own Henle Latin but I'm not sure if I want to use this. I would prefer something with easy-to-understand lessons each with a similar format and clear grammar explanations (preferably for Latin and English grammar). Any recommendations that would fit this description? Any other ideas that you think would work well, either curriculum ideas or ideas for organizing the group are welcome too. Thanks!

I'm considering starting a study group at my church for adults who would like to learn Latin. The idea is still bouncing around in my head, but my current idea is to pick a curriculum and each study it at home. Then every 2 weeks we would get together to talk about what we've been studying and possibly do an interesting activity or two. I do own Henle Latin but I'm not sure if I want to use this. I would prefer something with easy-to-understand lessons each with a similar format and clear grammar explanations (preferably for Latin and English grammar). Any recommendations that would fit this description? Any other ideas that you think would work well, either curriculum ideas or ideas for organizing the group are welcome too. Thanks!

The following are inexpensive and geared toward the beginning and independent learner.

Getting Started with Latin, William Linney

Teach Yourself Latin, Gavin Betts or Teach Yourself Beginner's Latin, George Sharpley

Learn Latin, Peter Jones

My mom did LCI and LCII with a friend, 4 children and the DVDs. She now spends an average of 1 hr a day studying Latin, with Henle. She also joined the Henle Yahoo group so she can ask questions. That's a great spot to ask anything you don't quite get. It sounds like you would be taking on the "Leader" part..... Don't forget that the Catholic Church has their latin classes being taught, at least here. My mom was talking to the teacher about taking there...

Sounds Great:-)

Carrie:-)

Don't forget that the Catholic Church has their latin classes being taught, at least here. My mom was talking to the teacher about taking there...

Sounds Great:-)

Carrie:-)

Wow, where do you live? I'd love to find out more about what they offer. We are Catholic and this study group would be the closest thing around here.

We live close to Mt Angel...in OR. My mom has called a few times....The Monks and such study...and for religious studies...you can't beat their library! My dad is in book heaven there! But, I was thinking that at least in the Catholic world, you have a better chance of finding Latin classes. We aren't Catholic, although my husband was raised Catholic, but I can't wait until we get to hear Mass in Latin. There's a Church close to us that does all of their Mass in Latin...YAYAY! I'd ask the Priest if he knows Latin....Good chance that he would, right? Especially if he's older. OR, do you have retired Priests around you? It's great the way that when my mom has called, the person she's talked to...is always excited to hear of lay people studying Latin...

Let me know what you hear....

Unfortunately our priest does not know Latin. He will probably be involved in the study group.

Can you tell me more about Getting Started with Latin? How are the lessons set up? How much time do you spend working on the lessons? Which type of pronuciation is used (I would assume it is classical)? We would need the ecclesiastical pronunciation.