Menu

Hakim's "The History of US" Teaching Guides... worth the price?

Tutor

I'm planning to get Hakim's The History of US for covering US history next year. Are the Teaching Guides worth their $18 per book cost? If so, is there any good place to buy these used? If not, what would you recommend as a supplement for each level (suggested activities, etc)? I am trying to simplify my hands-on planning for next year, so any suggestions for easy-to-implement supplements to this series would be great. Thanks!

I would have a very hard time spending $18 x 10 books. Too bad libraries don't tend to carry things like this.

Two things off the top of my head would be IEW's US History based writing lessons and for activities, those books in the "For kids" series. Going to see if I can find one. Ok, here's one on the American Revolution:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Revolution-Kids-History-Activities/dp/1556524560/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_c

My apologies if you end up spending more. :001_smile:

We are using this series this year without the Teaching Guides. I am using it with a 3rd, 4th, and 6th grader. We do lots of discussion and read historical fiction that fits the time period. I have found several non-fiction books they have enjoyed as well - from the library.

The tests that come with Hewitt's "History of US Junior High Syllabus" are excellent and worth the $9 alone. There is one test for each volume of History of US (Hakim). The syllabus also contains many great project and paper ideas for each volume.