Menu

Read Alouds: Transition from Picture to Chapter Books

I'd like to know what you are reading aloud to your 4 year olds. We read a lot, but it's more picture books. Eric Carle, Little Bear, Good Night Moon, etc. Today we did read Mike Mulligan's Steam Shovel and ds was fine with that; he asked me to read another story in our Virginia Burton anthology.

Should I be reading longer things to him yet? If so, I'd love some ideas on how you incorporate that (bedtime, while playing, etc.) and what some good ones are to start with for expanding their attention spans. When do you start reading chapter books?

I'm feeling like we need to be moving on to longer books, but I don't want to jump the gun, iykwim.

We've read "the Littles" which is an easy chapter book with pictures. We've read the Beatrix Potter collection, which isn't chapters and is still illustrated, but the stories are pretty long and I'll cover them in a couple of days. My boys are 4 & 5 years old, btw. We've been doing this for about a year. Bill Peet has some darling books that are longer than the average picture book, but still illustrated and interesting. There are a lot of transitional books that would probably be considered picture books, but are for growing attention spans. We always read for about 1/2 hour before our afternoon rest time and also before bed each night. Oh, and I forgot my favorite book - The James Herriot Treasury for Children. My kids loved that book, as did I!

My girls are 3 and 4 (will be 5 in May) and we have been reading chapter books for about a year now, I guess. We've read Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, The Wind in the Willows, Clementine, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, Mary Poppins, and Miss Hickory. I think that's all. Oh, and my girls are obsessed with the Little House books which they listen to in audio.

I host a weekly blog carnival called Read Aloud Thursday on my blog. I usually highlight the best picture books we've read from the library each week, but I also link to our longer read alouds once I review them on my blog. You're welcome to join in or glean what you can from mine and other's posts. (Link is in siggy.)

Edited by hopeistheword1
Accidentally made Mary Poppins bold instead of italicized--fixed it!

Oh, and I forgot my favorite book - The James Herriot Treasury for Children. My kids loved that book, as did I!

Yeah, I'm kicking myself for not buying that at a book sale for $1 a few weeks ago....

My girls are 3 and 4 (will be 5 in May) and we have been reading chapter books for about a year now, I guess. We've read Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, The Wind in the Willows, Clementine, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, Mary Poppins, and Miss Hickory. I think that's all. Oh, and my girls are obsessed with the Little House books which they listen to in audio.

I host a weekly blog carnival called Read Aloud Thursday on my blog. I usually highlight the best picture books we've read from the library each week, but I also link to our longer read alouds once I review them on my blog. You're welcome to join in or glean what you can from mine and other's posts. (Link is in siggy.)

Ooh...I just checked out your blog - I'm going to bookmark it - I see a lot of our favorites on there!

Four is the age when I took SWB's advice to heart--read above their level and be amazed at what they can enjoy!

We read the Little House books (just the first 2 at 4yrs old), Milly-Molly-Mandy, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and some others. You might also read some fairy tales that are a bit more involved (no Disney), and maybe even from D'Aulaire's Greek Myths (tho you could easily wait on that). You can also read books that are very slightly longer but not true chapter books, like the Henry and Mudge series and Mr. Putter and Tabby. These are favorites for many kids, who pick them up when they start reading, having heard the stories as read alouds.

At 5 and 6 we were reading books like the next Little House stories, Heidi, A Little Princess (Burnett), Pippi Longstocking, Betsy-Tacy, Capyboppy, Dr. Doolittle, and other children's classics. These were still above dd's reading level, tho she quickly, at 6, became able to read these on her own. Her ear was tuned to the rich language and wonderful rhythms of these classic books, and twaddle wasn't an issue, because it didn't satisfy.

I've been reading longer books to my girls after I'm done with my dinner and they are still finishing theirs. We do about 10 or so minutes, one or two short chapters. Right now we're in the middle of The Tale of Desparaux (sp?). They have an easier time listening while their hands and mouths are occupied. :D It's been a good transition for us!

We read a huge variety. During the day i will read anything the kids bring me, mostly picture books. We borrow 30 books from the library about every 3 weeks and i make a point of trying to read everything we get. Whilst DD2 is napping and before bed we usually read a 'chapter book'. DD1 will ask to have me read more of these, i think she goes into her own imaginary world when she listens, like relaxation or escape.

We also do audio books in the car, anything from The BFG to The Fairy Charm. DD chooses these at the library but i will vito if really not appropriate.

I 2nd a PP comment about taking onboard SWB's suggestions about reading above their level. My kids are learning a vast and rich vocabulary. DD used 'gossamer' to describe something the other day, she got that from a recent audio book. It was used in context although she couldn't really tell me what the word meant.

My kids are loving Enid Blyton books ATM and Roald Dahl also.

We've also read Around the World in 80 Days in the past 6 months which one of my boys really loved. At the moment we are reading The Hobbit which the three older kids are enjoying immensely. We've also read a lot of the other books mentioned in the last year or two.