Menu

Older dc's playdates - how do I handle this?

At an activity last night another child asked my 11 yo to come play this afternoon. Do I assume the parents know about the invitation? Do I call them (and possibly put them on the spot)? Do I wait for them to call me? Do I have my dc call to ask if it's okay with the parents? This is a whole new ball game for me! How do you handle this part of the transition into independence? What is considered "correct" etiquette?

At an activity last night another child asked my 11 yo to come play this afternoon. Do I assume the parents know about the invitation? Do I call them (and possibly put them on the spot)? Do I wait for them to call me? Do I have my dc call to ask if it's okay with the parents? This is a whole new ball game for me! How do you handle this part of the transition into independence? What is considered "correct" etiquette?

sometimes they do, but why would that put them on the spot? If a kid calls and talks to my kid and asks to do something, i always ask to talk to the parents first. It isn't only to see if it really is ok with the parents, but it is oftento cover logistics like rides, or dinner or times.

In your situation, I would remind my 11 yo that i need to make final plans with an adult. So them i tellmy 11 yo to tell that to the friend and let them know if they want to get the other mom to me in person or on the phone we can talk and make appropriate arrangements.

I always tell the other kid (or tell my kid to tell the other kid) that the "moms" need to connect to make sure a playdate etc. if ok.

:iagree: You're talking about an 11 year old? I tell my 17, 14 and 12 the same thing. They have a family (with a frequently conflicting schedule) and so do their friends. It would be far more embarrassing to dc to have them show up if the friend hadn't asked his parents.