Menu

When do you call 911?

Ours is posted right by the phone. I'd rather have a professional check it out and make a report that is on file even they don't find anything, than take a chance that I could have prevented something. That said, I'd only call if I really had a concern. We've called twice, both for situations that didn't look and seem at all right. In one case they caught a guy that was trying windows/doors on neighborhood houses.

Edited by GVA

My best friend is a 911 dispatcher and I can tell you with assurance that she would have definitely told you to call! Even though he wasn't threatening, the mere fact that he broke through your fence would have been enough to call.

If you knew the kind of calls she takes on a regular basis that are so far removed from anything even remotely close to an emergency, you would have seen that your situation would have been very worthy of that call, LOL. It's ridiculous the kind of calls the 911 dispatchers get. People never cease to amaze me - from one end of the spectrum to another.

:iagree::iagree: and once more for good measure :iagree:

I do respond to 911 calls (paramedic). And, yes, my partner and I have wondered (more frequently than I care to admit to) about people who call 911 for, say, toe pain. [You might think I jest; rest assured, I do not.]

Some communities have a non-emergency number (the nearest city/county to where I work uses 311; the county I work for does not have anything like that) and some don't. If your community does not and you have any doubts, please call 911.

Jenne, in your case (and given my honestly acquired and well honed cynicism ;)), my first thought would have been that the guy was on meth/coke/et al. I would have called 911 because of that. Glad to read that all turned out well for you and your crew.

And, Ria, unfortunately, I've run the call for the heart attack/cardiac arrest in the MD's office more than I can count. These are the people we want to call 911.