Menu

What would you look for at a homeschool resource table

Our library has a table near the children's section that is labeled Homeschool Resource Center. It pretty much consists of magazine holders with various education catalogs. The catalogs are probably 3 to 1 school supply catalogs rather than homeschool related catalogs. (In other words, there are catalogs like ETA, but no Sonlight or Peace Hill Press or even Rainbow Resource Center.)

The librarian who set it up said that he would welcome suggestions and extra catalogs.

If you were new to homeschooling or were a homeschooler who was new to an area (this is a military base and about 1/5 of the population is new in any given year) what would you be looking for?

Also, my experience is mostly with catalogs with a Christian bent. What great catalogs should I include that I might not know about?

Books on homeschooling. From numerous point of views. So perhaps TWTM and something by John Holt.

100 top picks

Homeschool magazines.

Sheets with Local group contacts and good information websites.

Well the book section on homeschooling is a whole other post. It is pretty dated and not very wide. There are fewer than a dozen books relating to homeschooling in the library. I'm thinking of doing a tipsheet with books and call numbers listed.

But I'm not sure what response I'll get on asking them to get homeschool specific books. I'm trying to come up with a good list of books that could be more generally applicable. So The Well Trained Mind and books on teaching reading and math and science. But not so many books on homeschooling as be all and end all.

Partly the librarian is a bit off putting. So I'm trying to start small and doable and then get a response from that.

I would kiss the ground you walked on if you had set up a resource folder of local music teachers, art teachers, vendors, directions to local parks, co-ops, home school groups, field trip opportunities, tutors, etc. and I had just arrived.

One of the biggest challenges we face, as military home schoolers, is trying to re-create the life we left behind. Having a resource file of all local home school helps would be invaluable. The library is one of the first places we visit after moving. I find they are either well set up with this type of information or sorely ignorant as to what the community beyond the base has available.

Also, not sure if the librarian would go for this, but a collection of math manipulatives might get checked out routinely. It would also be handy if they had science supplies like a microscope, butterfly net, magnifying glass, etc. that could be checked out. Also, for overseas locations especially, more general educational dvds would be nice to be able to find.

Anyway, thanks for working on this! It's a great idea!

I would kiss the ground you walked on if you had set up a resource folder of local music teachers, art teachers, vendors, directions to local parks, co-ops, home school groups, field trip opportunities, tutors, etc. and I had just arrived.

One of the biggest challenges we face, as military home schoolers, is trying to re-create the life we left behind. Having a resource file of all local home school helps would be invaluable. The library is one of the first places we visit after moving. I find they are either well set up with this type of information or sorely ignorant as to what the community beyond the base has available.

Also, not sure if the librarian would go for this, but a collection of math manipulatives might get checked out routinely. It would also be handy if they had science supplies like a microscope, butterfly net, magnifying glass, etc. that could be checked out. Also, for overseas locations especially, more general educational dvds would be nice to be able to find.

Anyway, thanks for working on this! It's a great idea!

I've heard good things about a book on Tokyo daytrips for kids. I'll have to see if I can track this down.

I love the idea of a folder. This may be something that I try to develop for the homeschool group in addition to one for the library. There seems to be some issues around seeming to endorse businesses.

I did get a huge folder from the spouses club when we arrived. It would be really cool to be able to greet incoming homeschoolers with something similar. Thanks for the idea.

but I love the idea of a folder with resource teachers.

A page of local homeschool groups. Flyers from the state organization. People who do testing (if required in your state).

My first thought was catalogs, but those would be best for new homeschoolers, not just new to the area. Of course you want to serve both. So yes catalogs! Of all types - you mentioned Sonlight and Rainbow Resource, how about the teaching company (is that their actual name?) the one with the cd's and dvd's and we all love it when they have the big sale. A lot of stuff would rightly be focused on elementary age, but also include things for middle and high school.

On the local yahoo group, we are regularly being asked for recommendations for doctors who are supportive of homeschooling, who are supportive of not immunizing or delayed immunizations.

Great idea!

Thanks for reminding me of The Teaching Company. I forgot to put that on my list.

Maybe I could even talk the library into getting some of their titles. The AV collection here is sort of odd. They have a lot of Playaways (MP3 player with a preloaded audiobook) but almost nothing that I'd classify as an educational lecture series (Teaching Company, Standard Deviants etc). I'm wondering if I could get them to buy some of the high school titles or some of the world/military history stuff.

The other thing that I'm trying to work on are some recommended reading lists for various topics. We are in Japan, but when I asked if they had a recommended reading list for new arrivals I got blank looks.

I would want books on different types of homeschooling - The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling by Debra Bell is excellent for that. Also, TWTM, of course, and even books on unschooling. Different strokes, KWIM?

Also, instead of catalogs (that might wander off), I'd like copies of a list with web addresses of homeschool curriculum suppliers so people could do their research at home and online. Rainbow Resource, A Beka, BJU, Veritas Press, Sonlight, CLE, The Teaching Company, and any other secular ones that might be available.

I love the idea of fliers with both lists of local extracurricular opportunities and lists of web addy's for HSing publishers.:iagree:

I would push hard for books like Writing Road to Reading, OPGTR and Phonics Pathways and Teaching Your child to Read in 100 easy Lessons....- those books have broad appeal. Parents looking to help their kids after school as well as HSers (and dare I say even ps teachers) would benefit from those books. I have checked out all of those from my library and studied them before deciding what curric. to purchase.

Books on the basic philosophies: TWTM, CM, Montessori, Waldorff, etc...