Menu

Disgusted with dishwasher. Confused about selecting a replacement.

Just how much money do you have to spend to get a dependable dishwasher? Ours is less than 2 years old and has quit. Ugh. I'm sure it will be $$$ to repair it because the electronic control is faulty.

We've been washing everything by hand for over a month and I need to pick another one. Unfortunately, I'm surfing around, reading reviews, and I am so confused.

I don't want it to do anything special. I don't need special cycles or temperatures. I don't need it to scrub off any food. I don't even care if it's quiet. I just want it to hold a lot of dishes, and I'd like it to be energy efficient.

I chose the last one because it said it could hold 14 place settings. It had good customer ratings. What good is any of that when it won't work?

Tired of feeling that major purchases are really just throwing money away . . .

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. We replaced our yucky dishwasher last year. It came with the house and we suspect it was old when we bought it which was 9 years ago. I didn't realize how bad it was until we got a new one.

I wanted to spend more money and get a fantabulous dishwasher seeing as it's my job. But we had to replace the fridge at the same time so I compromised on the dishwasher to get a better fridge. We bought ours at Lowe's and waited until they had a sale (with this economy you shouldn't have to wait long!). We picked out a Frigidaire. I'm very happy with it. It doesn't hold 14 place settings. I think it holds 10. It was mid-priced and I can't remember the exact number but I want to say we paid around $400. The thing I love most about it is the blade and assembly at the bottom pop out super easy for cleaning. I love this!

I do understand what you mean about things just not lasting. I see Model-T's on the road still and wish they made things to last today like they did back then.

HTH

We have a 5 year old, portable Whirlpool (now installed under the counter) and it has been fabulous. It is run at least once (sometimes three times) a day and I scrape the chunks off, but don't rinse the dishes; they always come out clean and shiny.

When we were looking, I made a spreadsheet (I make a spreadsheet for everything) to compare cost (broken out by seller), features and - important - reviews. That way I could look at multiple places and record everything side-by-side to compare on my own.

Good luck!

Just how much money do you have to spend to get a dependable dishwasher? Ours is less than 2 years old and has quit. Ugh. I'm sure it will be $$$ to repair it because the electronic control is faulty.

We've been washing everything by hand for over a month and I need to pick another one. Unfortunately, I'm surfing around, reading reviews, and I am so confused.

I don't want it to do anything special. I don't need special cycles or temperatures. I don't need it to scrub off any food. I don't even care if it's quiet. I just want it to hold a lot of dishes, and I'd like it to be energy efficient.

I chose the last one because it said it could hold 14 place settings. It had good customer ratings. What good is any of that when it won't work?

Tired of feeling that major purchases are really just throwing money away . . .

Before you go out and buy another one, did you check your warranty? We just bought a new one from Sears a couple of years ago and it suddenly got so loud that we couldn't run it when trying to do school in the next room. :glare: So dh called Sears and they sent a repairman out. Repairman tried something, still sounded horrible. He ordered a new motor which they shipped directly to us, and another guy came out and put it in. Works fine now.

I'm thinking they put out a defective product and knew it. Yours could be something like that. Make'em fix it.