Menu

Spell to Write and Read for 1sr grade

blessedmom3

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has used this intensive phonics program..

Previously I had been leaning toward Modern Curriculum Press Phonics because it is cheap&complete and my son likes workbooks . But after reading about intensive phonics....I thought maybe that was a better way to go. It is even cheaper in the long run , especially that I have 3 other children.

However , because I have a newborn , a toddler and a preschooler in addition to my 5 yrs old , I was wondering if this program would take too much time from me ?

How long does it take for a 1st grade child to use it ?

My son is 5 but he reads very well (chapter books ) and can spell simple words. He still needs to learn some phonics rules. HE seems very interested in spelling and he often asks me "how do you spell..." .

This will be my first year homeschooling so I feel like I need a lot of guidance. I am also looking at First Language Lessons or Spelling Power .

Which one is the best in your opinion?

Thanks for any help :-)

Edited by blessedmom3

I use WRTR, moderately, and think it's a good program.(My son's 5.5) It's very similar to SWR. My son does his cursive and manuscript phonics, orally, while doing something like jumping on the couch. Next year we'll add more rules to the couple he's learning now. He needs to learn all the two letter phonograms. He only knows a couple right now. I'm also trying to teach him the Cursive First program.... (lots of reasons for this:-) It goes with the SWR program. (although you can use manuscript with SWR....)

It's also has a spelling element to it, so I'm not sure about needing a whole other spelling program.

Carrie:-)

I am using this with my ds6. SWR takes some time for you to sit down with the teacher's manual and absorb what it is you are to do. Since your ds is reading well, that will help. The first several sections will be easy-peasy for him, but I would start at section A even so - to learn the process and start with the rules on "easy" words.

I will say that the author warns adamantly to not tweak her program....at risk of your child's literacy. I tweak:tongue_smilie:

I've heard good things about All About Spelling. It's similar to SWR, but evidently easier to implement (and more $). Maybe someone who uses it will chime in.

I have a love /hate relationship with SWR:glare: We have used it since, 2002

Things I love:

~ It taught ALL my 3 kids with different learning styles to read.

~ They ALL have beautiful handwriting ( I used the SWR suggestions)

~ They ALL are several grade levels above in spelling and my 3rd grade ds can spell better than his dad!

~ Incredibly through program

~ The price

Things I hate:

~ Start-up was a bit difficult

~ Until I shaved off what we didn't need, it took me a long time to do every day

~ Dictating 3 different lists to 3 different kids (yes, that 100 words a week:glare: (I bought the CD's and it took care of test day)

~ The charts in the back of the book, although I hated doing them, it was a HUGE benefit for the kids

I have tried other stuff, tried to leave SWR but honestly it is such a great program as much as I disliked it some days it was well worth the effort. My oldest will be completing the SWR book and my 3rd grader will most likely be done with it in 4th. All I will have is one to do SWR with and it will truly be a piece of cake!