Menu

So if I wanted to buy a plant/flower press

I made my own, but I modeled it after one I saw in our local art supply store.

Try looking at places like Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or other craft and hobby stores, or in the crafting section of Wal-Mart, Target, etc. I did see one a few years back at Target in the girls craft area of the toy section. Toy stores, such as Toys R Us might have some.

Also, check educational stores. We have had a few such stores every where we've lived, and they usually have them with the science kits.

Making one really isn't hard, I just bought some wooden placards from Wal-Mart in the craft section for .88 each, cut several squares of cardboard to fit in between them, and used some adjustable straps to wrap around the outside (like a child's belt with rings. or some really strong, adjustable velcro straps) Then I just placed the flowers between the cardboard, between sheets of paper, and tightened the belts. You can always add more cardboard if you have more flowers to press.

If you can't find straps, heavy rubber bands would work, but wouldn't be as user friendly. It's also not necessary, but I eventually got creative and found several different strap options, and different ways of making flower presses. If you change your mind and decide to make one, I'd be happy to share.

Can do better than that even. Walk into your front hallway and pick up the thickest phone book. Place piece of plant inside.

That's all there is to it!

:)

Rosie

:iagree: If you're just doing a flower or plant once in a while, this is by far the best way to go. No need to get a special press!

If you have a hobbyist, or someone who is going to be using it often, or for display purposes, it's well worth having a press. A press will allow a little air flow (in the case of the homemade one I mentioned, the corrugated cardboard does the trick) That way they'll dry quicker, and if you need to do a bulkier plant, you won't risk having it mildew.

http://www.nationalartcraft.com/images/sub-1441-01.jpg

Or for total instant gratification if you are going to be into flower pressing for awhile there is this microwave flower press. I bought mine at Michael's a couple of years ago. I assume they still carry them in craft stores since they are readily available online. Five inch square is about $20.

I'd be happy to share.

Would you please?

I searched everywhere: Michaels, Wal-Mart, 3 educational book/toy stores, REI and Big 5 Sporting Goods. Nada. So while I was at Wal Mart I picked up 2 wood plaques that are about 4x6. Talk to me Lily, talk to me.

Edited by LunaLee

Well, there are several options, depending on how much effort you want to put into it.

The easiest way is to get a few of these from the store: http://www.hookandloop.com/extra/cinchstrap.html WalMart carries some for bundling cables and cords (we found some near the bungee cords, etc). You can also check electronic or sporting goods stores, or your local hardware store. You can usually get a 5 pack for under $2. They come in various sizes.

Another option is to buy a child's premade D ring belt. If you can sew, *at all* you can make one very easily, and it can be as complicated or simple as you like. Here's a tutorial on how to make custom D ring belts with two kinds of ribbon. You can simplify this, and use D rings from any fabric store, and plain ribbon. http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=JC&Screen=BELTS

If you have a handyman around, the best option is to follow these instructions (which I didn't do, because we didn't have access to a drill at the time) http://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s-4-55-362,00.html

Even if you don't have a drill, or don't want to put forth that much effort, that last link also has good instructions on how to layer the cardboard, and other tips for the center of your flower press.

Hope that helps.

If all else fails, grab some oversized rubber bands, or anything you have around the house that will wrap around the outer boards to keep them pressed tightly together. :)