Menu

A more serious read aloud question

How often do you read books to your little ones? Do you always drop anything you're doing to read them a book when they bring one to you?

Many times DS3 will bring me a book...either upon getting up in the morning, when I have to go cook breakfast/lunch/dinner, when I have to go change the laundry, when I'm trying to get dressed, even when I'm going to the bathroom. :tongue_smilie: I'm not complaining, I just feel bad because I feel like I'm constantly saying, "Not right now" or "Just a minute" or "Later" or "In a few minutes."

We do read books several times throughout the day...but it takes about 5-6 picture books at one time before he is satisfied, and I can't always read that many at once. Sometimes I will give a limit...just one book right now, or just three books right now. Right now he is standing here with a book on top of his head waiting, and he just said, "It's hard to wait for books." Anyway, off to read...

Hmm, what a great issue to have ;)

I wonder, could you put a basket somewhere and have your ds (son, right?) put the books he wants you to read there, so that when you have time, you can have them waiting for you? This way, he wouldn't have to follow you around!

But it'd probably be self-defeating to get a laundry-basket-sized thing; you'd still feel guilty with that load! Maybe you could get a basket that holds no more than 8-10 books at a time?

Just a random idea :)

My son did the same thing and at the time, I always thought it was more of an attention thing than a book thing. Once when he was three he brought me an enormous giant stack and asked for one page of each book. :001_huh: I would read to him during times when I was going to be spending one on one time with him anyway. I also had to take care of his sister and do other stuff but when I would normally give him attention, we read. His sister and I always chatted, read a little bit, played with stuffed animals or whatever and my son and I always read because it was his big interest. I wouldn't have dropped everything to play stuffed animals so I don't think it's fair to drop everything for books.

Don't feel guilty that you have to do your stuff or take care of siblings and tell him not now. Just because it's books, doesn't mean that he should be able to take your time when you need to do other things. I happen to love reading (and ds knows that) but unfortunately dinner still has to get made!

My son, now almost 6, still loves books. He will sit for entire chapter books all in one sitting if I could read that long! He also *still* brings me huge stacks of picture books.

Pretty much:) I love to read and to read to them.

Maybe you can get books on cd from your library (or buy some) for him?

Their are also free audio books online.

THis is a GREAT idea! That was an amazing discovery for us when we started getting audiobooks! We get them from the library but we own a few. The first one I got for them was The Story of Ferdinand with the follow along book, and wow, both my kids were hooked! Great for car, bedrooms, etc.

This Curious George collection is great. It is a huge book and has all the stories in it, and on cd!

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

I empathize! My younger has "impeccable" timing, and most wants a read-aloud right when I'm mid-task :)

Depending on her general mood (and mine), I'll tell her that I can read one book to her "right now" and then I have her put 'the other books' (however many she's requesting, and she's insatiable!) on our nightstand/kitchen table/sofa/anywhere not *here* to "read later when I can give you my 100% attention". It usually buys me a few minutes while she selects the one she wants most, and then places the other half-dozen wherever I've instructed her to have them 'wait' for us. She is more receptive to this 'game' of later, than to me just telling her "later" or "in a few minutes". I guess it's all about the marketing LOL.

But then I have to make sure to not get distracted, and to live up to my end of the bargain so she knows that when I mean "later" I will genuinely follow up on it. It took a few tries before we got into this new groove, but now it's working fabulously.

I also jumped onto the audiobook train, which I had previously resisted. Lovin' it. We'll read a book together aloud a few times, then listen to it a few times together on the CD. At that point, she's good to go for the next few weeks and able (willing/wanting) to read it "herself" along to the CD. That usually buys me some time to finish my immediate task, and then indulge her in a read-aloud read by me. Our library has been a wonderful resource, and has many titles to choose from. They're also open to ordering titles we request.