Menu

Need help making corned beef & cabbage

This was a request from my mom but I've never made it before. I bought a pre-seasoned corned beef from Costco that I was going to put in the crock pot. It looks like it should be cooked for 8-12 hours but I'm not sure when to add the cabbage, potatoes and carrots. I don't want them to turn to mush so should I do it the last couple of hours??? It's times like this that I wish I would have paid more attention to my grandmother when she cooked :).

Put the carrots and potatoes in for the last hour or so of cooking. The cabbage can go in for the last 30 minutes or so, if it's simmering, and I generally just quarter it - it'll fall apart on its own. I made the mistake once of putting individual leaves into a boiling pot. Came out like wet toilet paper.:ack2:

I put the potatoes and carrots at the same time as the corned beef. the cabbage I cut into quarters and put it in 1/2 an hour before I want to eat. The potaoes and the carrots have never yet, turned to mush. I put my crock pot on low...it usually takes 8 hours to cook.

This is what we do, also. Yum!

I put 4 cups of apple juice and 1 cup of brown suger, and about 2-3 tsp of mustard in with the corned beef.

Put the corned beef (and flavor packet) in the crock pot, add potatos (I use red) and carrots. Cover with apple juice mixture, and lay slivers of cabbage on the top (about 1 1/2-2 in wedges). Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

This is one of our favorite meals........

I put 4 cups of apple juice and 1 cup of brown suger, and about 2-3 tsp of mustard in with the corned beef.

Put the corned beef (and flavor packet) in the crock pot, add potatos (I use red) and carrots. Cover with apple juice mixture, and lay slivers of cabbage on the top (about 1 1/2-2 in wedges). Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

This is one of our favorite meals........

The cabbage stays together through all the cooking?

Thanks for all the help. I knew the Hive wouldn't let me down.