Menu

Registering my child for homeschooling?

Let me see if I can explain this without being all jumbled LOL. My DD is 4 years old and I will be homeschooling her, starting kindergarten in September of this year.

Right now she is in speech therapy at the local public elementary school, twice a week, for thirty minutes each time. I'm not sure if she will continue to need therapy next school year or not.

My question is this......where would I "register" her at for her kindergarten year? I know that some homeschoolers do not register their children anywhere. However, the county already knows about my daughter since she's in public school speech therapy. Will they be looking for me to register her for kindergarten next year and could I get in trouble if she's not registered anywhere?

I could register her in an umbrella school. However, if we are still using the public school system's services, would I be required to register her with our county instead of under an umbrella school? Really....I just dont want to register her with our county. But I'm wondering if I'll be forced to if we are still using their services.

Did I explain that well enough? LOL! Or did I confuse you? Does anyone know the answer?

I'm so sorry!!!! I live in Florida. I cant believe I forgot to include that!

I think I can help! When you begin homeschooling you will send in a letter of intent to the school board. But - you don't need to do it until she's in first grade. Or if she turns 6 before February of her Kindergarten year.

Florida is one of the states where homeschoolers can continue receiving speech therapy services so you shouldn't have a problem there.

So you don't need to register her for Kindergarten. When the therapist makes the decision for next school year - then you will just deal with then as far as getting her set up to continue with services. In that case - you won't be able to avoid the school board - but it will not interfere with your homeschooling. And you will not have to do any reporting (evaluation/testing) until she completes first grade.

I suggest you go to http://www.fpea.com and request or download their guide to homeschooling in Florida. It will answer alot of questions as to the requirments of the homeschool law.

BTW - my son had speech services when he was 4 as well. He did not need them the following year - but if he did they would have accomodated him in the local elementary school where he otherwise would have attended.

I am in Florida as well, and you actually have choices:

1. You CAN, but don't HAVE to, send a letter to your county education board, registering your child as a homeschooler. You have to do this when your child turns 6. So it is not 100% necessary for K5 depending on how old your child is. When you do this, you then have the opportunity to take advantage of school services, such as extracurricular sports, classes, and speech. With this option, you have to show that you tested (do not have to send actual results) OR portofolio review once a year to prove your child is "advancing" each year. This option is actually very easy, it is what we do because it is just easy. I sent the letter of intent ONCE, and then once a year send in proof of testing paper. Done.

2. Or the second option is registering with a umbrella school. With this option, the state does not officially considered you a Homeschooler, rather a private school student. So they are not going to keep track of testing/portofolio, but you also do not have the option of taking advantage of extracurricular's at the public schools. There are lots of umbrella schools out there, each with different requirements (ie show proof of advancement, attendance, shot records, etc)

With your situation and speech, I would call the school district, speak the HomeSchool office, most counties have one, and see what they have to say. I doubt you could use the Speech services if you go with an Umbrella School.

But you have a while to before deciding, and here's the thing, either option is pretty quick and easy to undo. If you decide to register, and then she ends up not needing speech, so you want to go with an umbrella school, you just send that letter to the school district that you are no longer HSing and now attending a private school. Easy-peasy.