Menu

First instrument - piano or violin or something else?

Hi there! My DD will turn 5 in April. She has been doing great with schoolwork (reading, writing, math) and is often seeking out more to do. It has been suggested to me that she might enjoy learning an instrument. Before I broach the topic with her, I'd like to have an idea of what would be a good first instrument. I have no music sense, so I would be learning along with her. It would be nice to have something that we could do on our own, but I might be able to budget for lessons, too. If we went the piano route, I'd probably need to do a keyboard for space and cost reasons. Thoughts?

Hi there! My DD will turn 5 in April. She has been doing great with schoolwork (reading, writing, math) and is often seeking out more to do. It has been suggested to me that she might enjoy learning an instrument. Before I broach the topic with her, I'd like to have an idea of what would be a good first instrument. I have no music sense, so I would be learning along with her. It would be nice to have something that we could do on our own, but I might be able to budget for lessons, too. If we went the piano route, I'd probably need to do a keyboard for space and cost reasons. Thoughts?

I really like the violin as a first instrument. You can rent to start with so the cost is fairly low. They're portable. The Suzuki method is perfect for that age and it will also equip you to help her as the "home teacher". I find the Suzuki method very compatible with my views on how children learn and I appreciate the inclusion of the parent in the learning triangle. It has been a big learning curve for me, but it has also been very rewarding - for me and my kids.

I have heard that the violin is better to start with as well. But, we were given a piano when older dd was nearly 8 so that is the instrument we went with.

I agree with Sarah about the Suzuki method. Both my dds learn traditional and Suzuki methods in their piano lessons but my dd5 learns almost exclusively by Suzuki. I think this method of teaching the parent and including them (and relying upon them) during our practice sessions really help the student to learn proper techniques and carry forward with success. Dh and I love our piano teacher!

My ds6 started when he was 5 and it's amazing how far he has progressed in a year and a half. I was a little worried about starting with Suzuki and not having him learn to read music--but I think it has really helped his confidence for him to be able to play songs already. And his teacher is teaching him to read music, too--although his songs are still by memory, he's working on theory & notes in a different workbook--so eventually I can see the two abilities meeting together.

He's a bright boy who picks up on academic concepts quickly and violin was just the enrichment we needed to add for him. We decided to go with the violin because at that time he was too small for the piano, but he was so eager to start & we wanted to take advantage of his enthusiasm. It wanes a little bit occasionally--when he'd rather be playing with friends than practicing--but he loves playing for family & friends.

Good luck with your decision!

I require all my kiddos to take piano. If they want to expand into other musical instruments, then that's great. My 18 yod started piano at age 6 and violin at 8. She is very accomplished at both playing weddings and for churches. In her opinion you should definately start with piano because you can visualize the notes better than with another instrument. With violine first, the student has to learn both notes and positions at the same time. With piano first, the notes are learned, therefore, there's not as much on the plate when violin is learned. Piano is just a good foundation and is so versatile. Make sense?

either way, you'd want to have your dd take lessons. I actually think the piano is an easier first instrument and has the added benefit of teaching the child to read both bass and treble cleff at the same time (which is actually a bit harder than reading either one or the other, depending upon the instrument). However, I would go with what your daughter is more interested in. Has she shown any interests one way or another?

I would definitely recommend lessons for either instrument, however, but especially for the violin. I've heard of self-taught methods for violin, but there's no way I would even attempt that on my own. The technique and precision required for playing violin is far too difficult. I wouldn't even attempt piano without lessons, but some people can learn piano on their own with the aid of a good series of books that are more self-teaching, for instance, the Bastien series (start with Primer A or Primer 1; I forget the exact name, but start with the very first book). I think Suzuki is the best, but it is not self-teaching. And honestly, good piano technique is something that is best taught by a qualified teacher.

I think either would be fine - I'd ask her and see which she gravitates to. I made all 3 of my dds start on piano, but only because we owned one already. One of my dds (at age 5) begged for violin right from the start, so after a year she switched and hasn't looked back. I don't think the year of piano hurt at all, but if I hadn't owned the piano (and not a violin), I don't think it would've mattered if she'd started right on the violin. The other two are quite happy on the piano and have no interest in the violin other than messing about with their sister's from time to time - but never enough to switch (I don't have money for more than one instrument per kid).

And I'll chime in with all the people recommending Suzuki. All 3 kids (both piano and violin) have done Suzuki, and it's been wonderful.

I learned trumpet before piano, and never learned to read bass cleff well.

I would recommend at least a year of piano before switching to another instrument. I wish I had learned piano at the same time as trumpet (I started trumpet in 3rd grade. I played trumpet for 10 years and piano for 3. I occasionally will play trumpet at church now, depending on my schedule and our current church's need and desire for a trumpet player.)

Piano is my personal preference. I tried violin first as a kid and just couldn't make those strings sound right at all. Piano was so much easier on my mother's ears I'm sure.

We too have to consider not only space, but the fact that we'll be moving a few more times so we went the keyboard route. My suggestion if you choose that is to look at an 88key keyboard that is touch sensitive (the harder you press the keys, the louder they sound)

We got this one http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-P85-Digital-Piano/dp/B001AI8BJ8