Menu

Tell me about your super amazing science curriculum!

Melinda

What is the best science curriculum out there for children who *love* science and would like to do *lots* of projects. Some writing is okay, but I would prefer our science to be light on the writing at this age (they will be 5 and 6 by the time we use this).

Also looking for a wonderful health program that fits the same description as the science program I'd like.

Thanks!

We also LOVE REAL Science Odyssey! I started it when ds was 5 1/2. It is recommended for 1st thru 4th grade. But most of the activities are a lot of fun for my preschooler who just turned 4. There is some writing/filling out of lab results, but most of this could be done by a parent. We are almost done with Life and are going to start Earth/Space whenever that is done, probably March. It has TONS of activities, sometimes we haven't done them all but when I do get over my initial reluctance to get dirty/messy/get out a lot of stuff it is very rewarding and turns out much easier than it seemed.

You probably don't want to know about the snails :tongue_smilie:

My suggestion is a little light on the health part, but would be a great precursor to a health discussion.....Teacher Created's "My Body". It was so much fun and the retention level was extraordinary. Basically you take a large sheet of butcher paper (we used the brown paper you use to wrap packages for mailing). Lay your child on it and trace around them. The book offers kid sized drawings of the various organs of your body. There is a brief lesson on what each organ does, then the child pastes it onto their life size outline in it's proper place. We had those bodies hanging in the hallway for several years (only came down because we moved and the new house doesn't have enough wall space for everything, so now they "live" inside their closet, lol).

We're enjoying Jeannie Fullbright's Elementary Science (from Apologia) and while it's not secular, it's pretty easy to edit out or at least tone down.

We have My Body too. The kids were having fun with it until a couple trouble-makin' two year olds (mine and his cousin) ripped the bodies from the wall and dismembered them. But it's a neat thing and I plan to start it over eventually. My kids are little so when I made the pictures a bit smaller when I copied them.

We are using Mr.Q science program in a science co-op. The first year Life Science is free. It was written for homeschoolers, and has at least 2 activites per chapter.

The thing I really like about this program is that it uses scientific words that I have not seen in other programs. I thought it might be too much for my ds6 to comprehend, but so far that has not been an issue. He is a local guy here in our community, so we get the added benefit of going to the homeschool demos.

HTH

There are some lovely people out there aren't there. Providing fabulously thought out programs for free or very little! The Otters and Mr Qs programs are definitely on my list for future years.

I am using The Elements Chemistry this year from http://www.ellenjmchenry.com I'd love to say it's wonderful but we start next week... it LOOKS wonderful! And the price was really good. And her postage and service is fabulous.

Don't know if this is an option for you, but we made our own science program all the way up through 8th grade. Especially when they were young, like your 2, I would pick an overall science topic (life science; earth science; chemistry; physics). Then I'd look through the table of contents of a few kid science encyclopedias, the Rader's science 4 kids websites and other places to make a more specific list of topics that fell under that overall science subject, and then we just had fun with:

loads of library books

loads of library videos

- Magic School Bus

- Bill Nye The Science Guy

- Popular Mechanics for Kids

- Eyewitness

- Schlessenger Media

kits

- Museum of Science & Industry Gears kit

- magnet kit

- Usborne book & supply kit on magnets, and another on light

- sun print nature paper

- Adventures with Science kits

- Wild Goose 3-in-1 kits

- papermaking kit

- air pump rocket or water rocket kit

do a "science experiment a day"

- 365 More Simple Science Experiments with Everyday Materials (by Breckenridge, Fredericks & Loeschnig) -- these only take 10 minutes to do, you really DO have the materials around the house, they explain briefly the WHY of each experiment, and the experiments are in all subject areas of science!)

- (also 3 other books -- have to dig around and find the titles for you)

field trips

- museums

- caves

- mines

- nature preserves

- factories

- state and national park visitor centers (lake/mountain/beach/lighthouse/etc.)

making own discoveries

(our boys' favorites at that age included:

1. clear disposable cups of water, each with different food coloring mixed in, then empty cups -- mix and see what happens

2. clear disposable cups, each with a different material: water, oil, vinegar, baking soda, flour, sugar, salt, etc. -- mix and see what happens

3. make "red cabbage indicator" and then see what kitchen ingredients or household cleansers are "acid" or "base")