Menu

CPAP users, what mask do you find the most

comfortable. I am still trying to get used to the mask. I don't like anything touching my face, but it seems like the ones I've tried all have a strap or other apparatus that does. Am I just out of luck and will get used to this in time? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

I have been a cpap user for almost 15 years..and it took a long time to get the right fit. Yes, you get used to it in time, but keep trying for the right mask. My nose is small and I had areally hard time gett the thing to fit right. Eventually they just went with a petite mask of the same kind I was using. It's hilarious..the only petite about me is my nose and it caused so much grief for me!

Are you working thru a knowledgeable medical provider? There are brands of masks that will let you try a mask for 30 days or something and you can still return it. they are way too expensive to have to keep paying for them!

I use Fisher & Paykel Opus nasal pillows and have been really pleased with it. It does have headgear to hold it in place, but it allows for 3 different positions of the of the tubing. I have the tubing running right up my nose to my forehead so I can sleep with my cheek on the pillow.

It also comes with 3 different sizes of the nasal pillows. There is small, medium and large. I tried each and settled on the medium.

I've been using it for a little over a year with good results. I was fortunate that I've had a couple jobs where I wore different types of oxygen masks and respirators, so I didn't have much trouble getting used to it.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

Chelle in MO's husband Ken

and have for 3 years now. I love it.

It has nasal pillows that come in 4 sizes. The strap goes around the back of the head, where your skull curves under. The top of the strap does over the top of the head. The strap connects to the pillows with straps that go diagonally across the cheeks. The tube points down from your mouth and I just tuck it over the covers with me to avoid "rain out".

It is so light that I forget I'm wearing it. I can comfortably wear it with glasses and read in bed (I have obstructive and central apneas and forget to breathe so I often wear it to read--odd I know!).

I tried and HATED the full-face or partial face masks because I couldn't sleep on my side. Also, those made me feel like I was an astronaut and was trapped in a capsule.

MAKE your supplier help you fit your mask or try different masks. That's their job. Bug them until it gets to be a better fit.

Yes, it takes many days of use with a proper mask to get used to the mask. If it is more an issue of you not being able to tolerate something touching your face when you sleep, you may need to desensitize yourself by wearing it for a few minutes at a time while you are watching TV or reading.

It is so worth it when the adjustment period is over. I sleep 9-10 hours a night with no interruptions--no gasping, coughing, jumping, panicking! I feel good when I wake up. I travel with it and go camping with it.

Hang in there! It is an adjustment--it's not natural to have something on hear head--of course, it's not natural to stop breathing all night either and it is a lot more dangerous to stop breathing! Try to make friends with Mr. CPAP and welcome to being a hosehead! I wonder if there's an smilie for that???