Menu

Oh Elizabeth....or Shurley users

LauraJ

I just saw on a recent post (I didn't want to change topics on that thread) where you said you can skip Shurley levels. You mentioned levels 2,4,6,7 or 3,5,7. Does that mean the levels we can skip or the levels that we do? I hope that makes sense what I am asking. I have done level 1 and am finishing up level two in about a month, do I skip level 3 and continue with 4, then follow with levels 6 & 7?

Thank you! :)

I found the suggestion on skipping I think on the Shurley website, or maybe it was an interview? In any event, you could do 3,5,7 or 2,4,6,7. I'm going the 2,4,6,7 route. I don't see any point in rushing, getting to 7 really early, and then scratching your head what to do. There's also a maturity thing, where they see everything afresh, even stuff they've been doing for years, as they approach logic stage and have that brain rewiring, haha. So I say no need to rush.

VP has another suggestion for skipping, where you do most of the levels and just skip a couple. So I guess do whatever seems to best fit your dc. We started SG4 last year and are finishing it this year (insert baby in there and suddenly it makes sense), so it all works out, kwim? If you look at the scope & sequence on Shurley's website, the things they cover are SO close between levels, usually adding just one thing. So if your dc needs more practice, just move forward one grade. If he's a strong reader, nailing the stuff, and would get bored by the repetition, then skipping the levels is a good option. Don't feel compelled to skip levels, but don't get bogged down either. Do what best fits your dc, knowing the levels are so similar that Shurley says you CAN skip levels if you want.

Thank you! I remember reading VP's recommendation and was planning on doing levels 1 through 4, then skip 5. However, my son is flying through it easily and is not challenged. I believe I will skip to level 4 with him now. Thank you so much, you saved me time and money!

I'm sorry I can't help more but I'll tell you what little I can. We started Shurley 4 in the last half of third grade (about February) *B/C* we had finished up early and my daughter had a local friend who used Shurley and was delighted with the jingles (argh!!!).

I had planned to focus on more writing in the spring but since I had heard that Shurley is a "rigourous program" I decided to go ahead and start 4th at the end of third just in case it was so rigorous we needed more time or something. While looking into Shurley, someone I trust said she highly recommended just getting level six b/c it had everything i'd need for the lower levels. I had never used it, never even seen it, and a lot of other ppl called it rigorous . . . so, I didnt' dare!

One day, I had a question about something so I called the local friend to ask. She didn't have level four but had three and looked at it. The chapter I was asking about had exactly the same stuff. That little bit of information paired with the fact that I do not find Shurley rigorous (just really, really, wordy!) convinced me that IF I continue with shurley, we'll skip 5 and move on to a higher level.

I'm not crazy about it and would like to go back to our old program (Seton) but my daughter likes it and we've heard that what we really like about seton isn't included in the higher levels so . . . it's still up in the air.

I like to let my kiddo have as much input as possible so, while it is ultimately up to me, I'll let her decide among some choices. Shurley will be one of the choices but definately not level 5. This time I'll actually go to the trouble of getting my hands on a copy b/f I decide on a level. If I think that they're all pretty much the same, I'll go with something else b/c I can't imagine doing exactly the same thing year after year . . . especially since I dont' even like it!

Add to this the fact that we do a lot of latin. I'd be happy enough to skip English for a year and only do Shurley every other year. A small part of me objects to this idea, though, and won't quite let me commit to it. It's ingrained in me. Still I could imagine doing Shurley in 4th, skip English in 5th, Shurley again in 6th, skip English in 7th, English in 8th to prepare for those highschool years, and then do a formal, hard-core English program through high school. I don't know, though.

It would be nice if you had a local friend who could let you look at the different levels. I don't suppose there is a store near you that carries it. We have one called Mardels.

Boy, and I said Shurley is wordy! Yes, I think you can skip just fine. The only problem I see is that you'll be finishing up 8th grade English in 5th grade. Is that even a problem?

Good luck deciding!

We've used Shurley for years and also skip levels. I usually either drag it out over a year and a half, combined with other grammar and writing programs OR just use another grammar in between. Level 7, while not the end of grammar studies, has more daily exercises and editing exercises than any other book, so don't skip that one. It could definitely be done in 6th grade and then you could move on to other grammar studies.

HTH,

Lisa