Menu

Hairdresser questions

We went to the hairdresser and now I have some questions.

First, how much should we have tipped? I don't want to be unfair. But 4 hours and almost $200...well, I just want to have done it right also.

Second, my dd got a perm but refused to cut any length off her hair. It really didn't come out well. The stylist said it would do a lot better if dd would get more layers at least, even if she wanted to keep the length. Dd is willing to cut 6-8 inches off it now (tomorrow at 11am), but is it too late? or will it spring back to life when not weighed down with all that hair? I'm hoping the latter, but I kinda think that pulling it for the first 24 hours isn't the best thing for it?

Third, related to #2...if dd needs it re-permed, would we pay for it? what kind of tip would you give? any thoughts?

I usually tip 15 to 20%.

If I'm understanding correctly, the stylist warned your daughter that if she didn't cut her hair first the perm might not turn out well? If that's the case, I would definitely pay for a new perm, and give the stylist a normal tip (unless she offers to give you a discount). But I would have dd reimburse me for the second perm and consider it a lesson re: listening to the advice of a professional.

She told dd during the perm that she would do best to have long layers. Dd agreed to that. When it was finished, it still seems "pulled straight" to a good extent. The hairdresser offered more layers, dd declined. Hairdresser said that if dd changed her mind, she'd do it in a day or two. I'm just concerned that it might not perk up after being pulled for 24 hours.

DD2 is a licensed cosmetoligist and she says "aaaahhh...no, do not reperm it" and that there is a lot of controversy about that whole 24 hours thing. Technically the solution has been neutralized and your hair is what it is at that point but anecdotally, people swear it makes a difference how you treat it. So take that for what it is worth. And cutting it should lighten it up and improve the curl. And she considers 50% a good tip...just kidding. 15-20 is pretty normal.

She told dd during the perm that she would do best to have long layers. Dd agreed to that. When it was finished, it still seems "pulled straight" to a good extent. The hairdresser offered more layers, dd declined. Hairdresser said that if dd changed her mind, she'd do it in a day or two. I'm just concerned that it might not perk up after being pulled for 24 hours.

Ok, that makes sense. I hope it works out and she can get it to a point where your dd is happy with it! I didn't realize that re-perming is such a no-no.

DD2 is a licensed cosmetoligist and she says 15-20 is pretty normal.

Oh good :) That was what I was thinking. I had to leave my daughter as collateral so I could run to the bank for money. Then I stopped by Taco Bell to break a $20. However, I just was thinking about it and I think I left her less than I thought I did. Well, I will have another opportunity since dd is going at 11 this morning.

As for the reperm...I know it's highly not suggested by my own had to be redone for my first perm. Last night, much of it looked pretty straight (like straighter than had she had her hair in braids the day before). I would guess it's not gonna get better overnight. So maybe it's more about the perm than the hair afterall.

This lady was really nice. And I hate to complain or put her out.