Menu

What made you choose WRTR instead of SWR?

mo2

I looked some at SWR and joined the yahoo group. There is a whole section on how to use SWR with a large family, and many people posted that they actually have trouble implementing it. I am teaching 5, so I need something that I won't dread to teach.

I also read where people had to spend a whole bunch of time setting up just to start using it. I don't have the time nor the inclination to do that!

Also, since SWR was sort of based off of WRTR, I figured why not just use the original? LOL

I bought a copy of WRTR, and I have heard how it is so difficult to implement, you have to study the manual a couple of times before you start to use it, etc. Honestly I think the main problem is the way that it's laid out in the manual. (Sort of like Tapestry of Grace...the presentation is half the problem!) I did read through it (at least the applicable parts for us...I don't plan to use it for writing and possibly not for the reading comprehension stuff), and last night I started an outline for daily lessons so that I can match up stuff from the back of the book with the front. I don't think it will be that hard at all!

What razorbackmama said!

I found WRTR too confusing and not presented well, and SWR to be easier to understand, implement/teach.

Might check out AAS too! In terms of spelling/reading if I had to do it over I might be inclined to use it!

I actually chose WRTR over SWR because SWR sounded too difficult to implement. WRTR looks easy peasy once you get past the manual itself LOL. (They need to revise it (again) IMO!)

I am using WRTR, new edition, because my mom taught my brother with it 25 years ago...and it's tradition:-) My mom took the course from a person that was only once removed from Mrs. Spalding, so if I have a questions, then I just have to pick up the phone and ask my mom:-)

I use the phonograms that are from the WRTR and then the "Cursive First" that SWR recommends. So, he can recognize cursive and print. I'm trying to get him to write in Cursive, but that's kinda hard since he has 3 big sisters that print. Course, looking at their handwriting is a good reason to concentrate on cursive!

Carrie:-)

I am using WRTR, new edition, because my mom taught my brother with it 25 years ago...and it's tradition:-) My mom took the course from a person that was only once removed from Mrs. Spalding, so if I have a questions, then I just have to pick up the phone and ask my mom:-)

That's funny!! My Mom taught it in her early elem. classroom 25+ years ago, because she had taken the course from Mrs. Spalding! I can remember my mother talking on the phone with one of her teacher friends and raving about it all the time, because they were the first to bring it into our school district, at a time when sight reading was huge. Anyway, my reason is the same as yours - because my mother taught it to me when my son was younger, so I'd know how to teach reading! :lol: I, too, asked her tons of questions during that learning period for me. Never heard of SWR until the past 4 years or so, and it looks confusing to me.:D But that's probably because I am so used to WRTR.

Edited by Colleen in NS