Menu

Is this puppy acting like an over tired 2-year old?

Dh was off last night, but since he is working nights was up since about 3 a.m. He said Heidi came down with him and played most of the night with her toys. She has been wide open since I got up at 7. And now refuses to take a nap. Baxter is trying to get his morning nap in, dd is trying to read and Heidi is acting like she is on a sugar high. Sheesh!

Is there anything I can do for her to get her to sleep?

ETA: I can't crate her. The crate got put in the garage one wet day last month and froze to the ground. I can't get it out of the garage until the thaw.

Edited by Parrothead

Absolutely, dogs can get over stimulated and just wired. The prescription is:

something incredibly yummy to chew

my favourites are:

A kong stuffed with a mix of stuff and then frozen

a knuckle bone

Sometimes a long walk on leash can also help. Lots of sniffing and wandering around is relaxing (as opposed to offleash play which tends to get excitement levels up)

I do train the dogs to "chill" and it's a good thing to have in your arsenal. But with a young puppy, you can't expect them to chill for long, unless they have something like a kong or a bone....

Thanks. I don't have a Kong or a knuckle bone, but I've got some pig ears - if Bax hasn't devoured them. I know what to stock up on though. What do you put in a Kong to freeze?

Since everyone got quiet she has jumped up into dh's chair. Dh has gone to take his 6-hour nap before work tonight. See seems to want to nap now, but every little noise has her popping her head up. Maybe if dd and I sit very still and the cats stay busy in the other part of the house Heidi will crash.

You can stuff a variety of things in there. Is she on a kibble diet? For a kibble eater, I 'seal' the ends with a blob of peanut butter or cream cheese or canned dog food. Inside I put their regular kibble, and any thing else that looks good in the fridge - the little bit of left over cheese, a tiny piece of bacon will flavour the whole thing, air popped popcorn, banana, eggs, cooked potato/rice/pasta. Really anything that's not toxic to dogs (& that doesn't cause reactions in your dog of course) is fine.

Kongs are a wonderful invention. I have 4. I stuff them & freeze them. You don't need to freeze but I find it adds to the work & of course means I can keep them a while so I'm not scrambling to put one together when I need it.

Dogs on raw can have stuffed ground meat & veggies in there. I like to add fresh yogurt too. Just mix it all up and shove it in. Freeze on a cookie sheet & then store in a bag.

Depending on the age of your puppy, you'll probably need to get a series of kongs. A small dog with a big kong is not so good because they can easily get their tongue &/or muzzle right in there so it's too easy. But a large dog with a small kong is potentially a chocking hazard. You want it to be the right size.

Remember to adjust their meals if you're giving kongs. Because I feed twice a day, I adjust the evening meal to take into consideration how much they've had in training treats/kongs/buster cubes etc.....

When I have youngsters here they get at least one kong a day. My old mellow female gets one whenever I need to leave her at home. Knuckle bones are on the menu at least once a week & they last about 4-6 hours of heavy chewing & then the dogs pass out from fatigue :D

My dog got wired (and aggressive) on pig's ear or rawhide when he was a puppy. You might want to try the walk instead.

Can you block her in somewhere (crate-like) so she's contained?

It is all of 6* outside so the long walk will have to wait. She is still in the chair. Alert but in the chair. That in itself is a special treat. I think she wants to sleep.

We will continue to be very quiet and see what happens. It is like having a sleeping baby in the house again.

Edited by Parrothead

You can stuff a variety of things in there. Is she on a kibble diet? For a kibble eater, I 'seal' the ends with a blob of peanut butter or cream cheese or canned dog food. Inside I put their regular kibble, and any thing else that looks good in the fridge - the little bit of left over cheese, a tiny piece of bacon will flavour the whole thing, air popped popcorn, banana, eggs, cooked potato/rice/pasta. Really anything that's not toxic to dogs (& that doesn't cause reactions in your dog of course) is fine.

Kongs are a wonderful invention. I have 4. I stuff them & freeze them. You don't need to freeze but I find it adds to the work & of course means I can keep them a while so I'm not scrambling to put one together when I need it.

Dogs on raw can have stuffed ground meat & veggies in there. I like to add fresh yogurt too. Just mix it all up and shove it in. Freeze on a cookie sheet & then store in a bag.

Depending on the age of your puppy, you'll probably need to get a series of kongs. A small dog with a big kong is not so good because they can easily get their tongue &/or muzzle right in there so it's too easy. But a large dog with a small kong is potentially a chocking hazard. You want it to be the right size.

Remember to adjust their meals if you're giving kongs. Because I feed twice a day, I adjust the evening meal to take into consideration how much they've had in training treats/kongs/buster cubes etc.....

When I have youngsters here they get at least one kong a day. My old mellow female gets one whenever I need to leave her at home. Knuckle bones are on the menu at least once a week & they last about 4-6 hours of heavy chewing & then the dogs pass out from fatigue :D

Thanks. We have one Kong between the two dogs. I'll have to get some more.

but, if you want to use the crate, why don't you dump some really hot water on it and get it to thaw? If you have a watering can or gallon bucket you could haul boiling/really hot water to your garage and then melt and sweep. You could get your crate and clean the garage all in one! (We used to live in Fairbanks, so I'm familiar with the need to thaw something outside when the temps are really low!)

Just a thought. Our puppy loves her crate. They really are wonderful for getting your pup to relax.

but, if you want to use the crate, why don't you dump some really hot water on it and get it to thaw? If you have a watering can or gallon bucket you could haul boiling/really hot water to your garage and then melt and sweep. You could get your crate and clean the garage all in one! (We used to live in Fairbanks, so I'm familiar with the need to thaw something outside when the temps are really low!)

Just a thought. Our puppy loves her crate. They really are wonderful for getting your pup to relax.

There is a thought.

She has finally gone to sleep - 11 hours after she got out of her doggie bed. Now I have to let her rest for a while and get her up and busy before bedtime. :001_huh::glare::lol: