Menu

High School planning for college sports

OMG! This is the first time I've started a thread on the high school board intentionally (I did it accidentally once - I checked). Be still my beating heart.

I have been thinking lately about ds playing college basketball (he's in 7th grade now). Suppose he wants to play for 4 years at one college, ie. he doesn't want to earn 2yrs of college credit at the local community college and finish his degree at another college. Wouldn't it be advantageous to enroll as a freshman, but with some college credit so that he could still play for 4 years, but he wouldn't have to take a full load of classes every semester? What is the best way to accomplish that?

I feel like my question shows my naivete. It's probably much more complicated than I imagine and involves an admonishment to "check with the college". Please be gentle with me. :blush:

FWIW, CC is available in 10th grade here.

I believe he has to be a "full time student" to do college sports. However, "full time student" is defined as around 3-4 classes per semester, less with labs which would barely give him enough credits to graduate. Athletes red shirt all the time, giving them a fifth year of college, with only four actually competing, so community college credits shouldn't prevent him from playing for four years.

I'm sure there's an elaborate procedure for red shirting, given the ridiculous process to just be allowed to play as a freshman, so contacting the college would be appropriate. You should also go to the NCAA website and check out their coursework and transcript requirements before you plan high school.

I've also heard that too many credits when he applies can prevent him from getting a four year scholarship (because they want to call him a transfer student.) If you want him to play four years (and you want to pay tuition for four years), he may need to limit his community college credits, so he can apply for four year scholarships. Again, call the college.

You probably want to check the NCAA site.

It is the rare student who wins an athletic scholarship. I have had nieces and nephews play Division I and III sports--none were given athletic scholarships. In fact, two did not participate in the sports for which they received state honors (soccer and track). Rather, to remain athletic, they were walk-ons in less recognized sports at their universities (women's lacrosse and fencing). Just a warning that it hard for even the "best" to earn a place on a college team.

That said, I have known students who have played college sports as graduate students. One of my former students was a soccer player at a well known state university. He had started his academic career in his home country. Here in the US, he matriculated as a sophomore, which gave him another year of NCAA elibility. So he started grad school and played another year of his sport. I don't know if the NCAA still allows this to happen, but it may be worth checking.

Jane