Menu

science experiments - how important are they really in elementary grades

In other words, are you guys going to take me to the woodshed and pummel me if I told you that I am just going to give up all pretense of doing them? I am just going to drop them flat out. I just can't gather up the stuff and the will and the time to do them.

I don't remember doing any experiments, really, in elementary school. I do remember them in junior high and we did a lot of them. It was really cool when we did do them. So I am thinking of just waiting until my eldest starts 7th grade before I break out the terrariums and bunsen burners.

Right now, we are doing a lot of science reading and ds9 does the Usborne quick links. They do beg to do experiments but with my struggles to get the basic work load done and house work and extra activities (these are not numerous but very important) and a TODDLER, I can't.

Not absolutely important. *But* I've said it before and I'll say it again, I just *love* the Discover and Do dvds from Sonlight, and paired with the nonconsumables kit and the grade level kits, the kids can do the experiments *themselves* with little or no input from me. Justin is a goofy, enthusiastic teacher, and he shows them how to do the experiments. The box includes very nearly *everything* they need (add in an occasional pair of scissors, glass, bowl or water), so there's no scrambling for a paperclip or meat tray or asking me to go buy a thermometer -- it's all there.

I don't do these as "school" so much as educational enrichment... It's up to the kids when/if they do these. But I do think they've learned, and it has fed their desire for science experiments without making me lose my mind.

So yeah, I think it's fine to skip most experiments at this stage. But if your kids *want* them, the Discover and Do dvds are a fantastic alternative. (And no, you don't have to use Sonlight science or follow along in a book or anything to get a lot out of the dvds... I do recommend the kits though, 'cause then the kids can recreate the experiments themselves.)

My guy is 12, and hates hands-on activities of any sort. Yet I still waste so much money on various science kits, which we never do, and then I feel so angry at myself for wasting the money!

I think I'm going to model myself on you, and just give up the pretense of doing science activities. When DS is old enough, I'll have him take science classes at the CC, and he'll have a full lab there.

Michelle T

I think experiments are important to help develop a love of science. Just like reading aloud can help develop a love of learning, doing hands-on science with your kids can create a love of science. Babies explore and experiment with the world around them (drop toys off the high chair tray - testing gravity:). Toddlers build with blocks and knock them down, learning about structural design and forces and motion. Preschoolers pour water in the tub- learn about surface tension, viscosity, conservation of matter. In our house, we start experiments with preschoolers.

Hands-on science does not need expensive, specialized equipment. There are tons of books that use ordinary household materials. Usborne has lots of them. In the seasons of my life where I just didn't have the time/energy to do them, I gave my kids a safe book, materials and let them go to town.

I hear you on the "can't fit it in" theme. That is why I have started several science clubs over the years. If I hadn't, we would never have 'gotten to it." I asked several families to join us as we take turns leading the kids in doing experiments. Less prep time for me and it gets done. We pick a topic for the year (usually somewhat following the WTM cycle) - select topics within the subject and take turns who will lead it. It makes things come alive.

Now, off to prepare for science club. Experiments with waves and sound.

Ruth Beechik talks about a group of K'ers who spent time primarily doing science activities and experiments and a group who spent focused time on reading and phonics instruction. The science group ultimately had better language skills.

This was in her little book, "The 3 Rs". That study definitely made me pause and decide to include more science than I had planned to. But I know how you feel...I'm not a science-y person. But I'm getting there!

Wanted to add a caution ... If you make them too rigorous and structured (must stop to document result after each drop added) they will hate it. Rigor can wait until high school IMHO. If you make it about discovery and fun, most kids will enjoy it. Science is about asking questions (what if?), making hypotheses (guesses) and testing the results (did it turn out like you expected? Why not?)

Not absolutely important. *But* I've said it before and I'll say it again, I just *love* the Discover and Do dvds from Sonlight, and paired with the nonconsumables kit and the grade level kits, the kids can do the experiments *themselves* with little or no input from me. Justin is a goofy, enthusiastic teacher, and he shows them how to do the experiments. The box includes very nearly *everything* they need (add in an occasional pair of scissors, glass, bowl or water), so there's no scrambling for a paperclip or meat tray or asking me to go buy a thermometer -- it's all there.

I don't do these as "school" so much as educational enrichment... It's up to the kids when/if they do these. But I do think they've learned, and it has fed their desire for science experiments without making me lose my mind.

So yeah, I think it's fine to skip most experiments at this stage. But if your kids *want* them, the Discover and Do dvds are a fantastic alternative. (And no, you don't have to use Sonlight science or follow along in a book or anything to get a lot out of the dvds... I do recommend the kits though, 'cause then the kids can recreate the experiments themselves.)

I have that whole kit from Sonlight and I still struggle. Maybe I will let ds loose on the weekends with the experiment kit. It doesn't follow WTM but maybe it will get it out of his system.

Wanted to add a caution ... If you make them too rigorous and structured (must stop to document result after each drop added) they will hate it. Rigor can wait until high school IMHO. If you make it about discovery and fun, most kids will enjoy it. Science is about asking questions (what if?), making hypotheses (guesses) and testing the results (did it turn out like you expected? Why not?)

Okay, so no documentation? I have to admit, the writing down of stuff is a HUGE obstacle because their writing skills are not there. They can write but only copywork.

...Maybe I will let ds loose on the weekends with the experiment kit. It doesn't follow WTM but maybe it will get it out of his system.

Yes, just let him go with it! Let Justin ignite an interest, and then give him the chance to experiment and observe on his own!

If you're concerned about following the WTM sequence, you can continue the appropriate WTM-ish *readings* during school time. But let him play and experiment with basic science concepts on his own time after your regular "school" or on weekends, rainy days, whatever.