Menu

I just bought some flax seed to put in bread and muffins....

But then I read on some website that cooking it destroys all the good things in it. Is this true? Do you have to eat it raw to get the maximum nutritional benefit?

I read that flax seed is low in phytic acid and can be eaten raw but can also be soaked overnight and worked into bread or whatever and it (soaking) increases its beneficial effects. That would mean that you can use it in bread and it won't diminish the results.

I like the golden flax seed - it tastes like a variety of nuts - I stir a little in some yogurt. It's yummy. Have never used it in bread. Let me know how it works out if you decide to try it.

Actually, my understanding is that our bodies cant readily process the seeds, and that the higher temps in cooking will nullify the good effects, so we grind our seeds. I just buy the organic seeds in bulk, grind a tablespoon or two at a time in my coffee bean grinder, and sprinkle it on lots of things. Oatmeal in the AM, smoothies, veggies, yogurt, etc. Flax oil is good too, but only get the refrigerated ones.

HTH

Kim

Actually, my understanding is that our bodies cant readily process the seeds, and that the higher temps in cooking will nullify the good effects, so we grind our seeds. I just buy the organic seeds in bulk, grind a tablespoon or two at a time in my coffee bean grinder, and sprinkle it on lots of things. Oatmeal in the AM, smoothies, veggies, yogurt, etc. Flax oil is good too, but only get the refrigerated ones.

HTH

Kim

Kim, how big are the flax seeds when they are not ground?

I bought mine in bulk and they are small, oval-shaped seeds.

Does it look more pulverized after you grind them?

I don't have a foodmill but could try the coffee grinder for a flavor laced with java if the body can utilize it better this way.

I have never heard that the nutrients are ruined by cooking. When the seeds are ground it turns into flax meal and actually increases in volume. I use flax meal in cookies and bread. I want to try it in oatmeal too.

Here's something interesting I found while looking online. Might be worth following the link to the site to check it out.

Quoting Loren Cordain, Ph.D from http://www.thepaleodiet.com/faqs/

"Studies of ground flaxseed during cooking at temperatures encountered during baking (350 degrees F for 2 hrs; 400-425 F for 20-25 min or 662 F for 60 min) show that there is no degradation of the alpha-linolenic acid to oxidized secondary lipid compounds (Flax Council of Canada)"

Importantly however, the next bit is,

"However, I have recently learned...that a distinction must be made between flaxseed and flax oil. For reasons that are unclear, flax oil must not be used during cooking.

Edited by HiddenJewel