Menu

Latin/Greek/Spanish-need help!

Here's the situation:

Dd11 has said for the past 6 years she wants to be a missionary to Mexico. So she's been doing Rosetta Stone Spanish this year to prepare her if God is really calling her there. But, I'm still pondering the subjects of Latin and Greek.

Should I focus her heavily in Spanish and just do a latin/greek roots program?

Or, should I do Greek with her since it might help her if she ever wants to go into Bible translation down the road?

Or, should we just do the traditional path of Latin, knowing it will help vocabulary and thinking skills (she's not a great critical thinker naturally)?

Also, the other problem is that whatever we do is going to have to be independent learning for her. I can't fit more "mommy instruction time" into our day!

Any help or ideas? Thanks in advance!

Stick with her passion for now. Give her at least another year of Spanish before even considering adding a second language. Also consider supplementing RS with free reading (get Spanish children's books from the library) and conversation with a native speaker if you can manage it. Let her passion carry her studies along.

Stick with her passion for now. Give her at least another year of Spanish before even considering adding a second language. Also consider supplementing RS with free reading (get Spanish children's books from the library) and conversation with a native speaker if you can manage it. Let her passion carry her studies along.

I would def. start Latin right away if possible (even at a half-pace). Latin makes Spanish so much easier for us. Other can wax eloquent on why that is - but I can just say that Latin (4+ years for my high school dtrs) has been a huge blessing for us and a huge benefit as well for language arts and Spanish. (One dtr is year 2 of Spanish and one is in her 3rd year.) I can also say that the benefit of Latin in Spanish studies makes me wonder why public elementary schools don't offer it!)

If it helps any, most of the elem Latin programs are easy to use, almost self-teaching and if your dtr is able to fairly easily pick up a language, then Latin should be enjoyable and an "easier" class for her.

Lastly, if it were me, I am such a believer in Latin study as the basis for foreign language, that I would do the Latin before hte Spanish since your dtr is young. I can see where that might not work for you as you and/or your dtr may not want to "give up" Spanish at this time.

I'm not a big fan (iow, we didn't like the one we used) of the Latin roots we used. We found it boring so I'm not a good one to ask there.)

Lisaj

I think I'd stick with Spanish for now. In my experience, speaking Spanish well makes learning Latin easier (and vice versa, of course). The vocabulary similarities run both ways. It will be easier for your dd to develop a good ear for Spanish sounds at a younger age and if you already own Rosetta Stone you might as well use it.

Hi! I am from the Netherlands where we learn multiple languages at the same time, and it does not seem to be a big deal to have more than one simultaneously. I also have been a missionary for about 10 years in Hungary (and now I am living in the States). I studied Latin in highschool, starting when I was 13 and added Greek when I was 14 (we also had to study French, German and English). I have always felt Latin was very helpful as I felt it was a great language to take before you start Greek, there are a lot of similarities. If there is any chance your dd will be involved in Bible translation, you will want her to have Greek at some point. She might get if she would attend a Bible College, but I would try to get her started up on it before that. I felt Greek was not that hard after I had studied Latin. So if my sons would like to be missionaries in a Spanish-speaking country, I would definitely have them continue with Spanish and first add Latin. After they would have made progress with that I would add Greek. Greek seems hard because of the difference in characters, but it is really very logical.

HTH,

Kitty