Menu

Two silly boys

I have 4 kids:ds8, ds6.5, dd3.5 and ds19mo. The older two are great friends and Love to make e/o laugh. As you can imagine, they gravitate toward each other with silliness during the day. It has been getting better, but I have to stay on top of them. I don't like that very much. I wish I could train them in a mostly positive way to save their sillies for "free time." I've told them little metaphors like, "Silliness is like salt. A little makes your food taste good, but too much can spoil the whole meal" (We usually use this one at dinnertime); or, "you wouldn't put salt on your cereal, that's not the place for salt." I then proceed to translate to them that the salt is their jokes. I also give logical consequences such as removal from each other or the room. They seem to understand and respond well to this kind of thing, but go back to the silliness, inevitably. Am I just a stuffy mom? I'm glad they like each other, but schooltime is schooltime, not stand-up comedy! I'm not exaggerating either. My oldest son is very outgoing, gregarious and truly funny! Sometimes I have to pinch myself to keep a straight face, and other times I lose it completely (kinda like that scene in Mary Poppins-"I Love to Laugh") and digress with them... "Oh Bother" (to quote our favorite stuffed bear).

Humor is important in homeschool, but their immaturity keeps them from knowing when it is interfering with accomplishing school. To make matters...well.. worse I guess, the younger two are totally becoming indoctrinated into their brothers infectious humor. My 19mo ds can't even talk, but knows to say "hoo!" in just the way his brothers do when they think something is funny. They have a lot of inside jokes, and they share them with all of us, often at the wrong moments. What do you think? Do I need to lighten up? If so, how do we keep the momentum of the homeschool day?

I'm in the same boat.

You don't want school to be too serious and stilted, and you want to encourage joy in life....but they can get to having so much fun with their jokes that they're only listening with half an ear and not retaining what they're supposed to be learning.

You feel really guilty for squashing their lightheartedness, but at the same time, it can get out of hand.

Hope someone has insights. I feel really rotten when I make them stop and they look so crestfallen and then are too subdued. It's pathetic! ;)

Have them start making a journal of their jokes, maybe writing plays etc. Maybe this can be turned into a positive thing?

This is an excellent idea! I will have to try this.:)

You feel really guilty for squashing their lightheartedness, but at the same time, it can get out of hand. :iagree:

You got it! This is exactly how I feel.:confused: I need some management techniques or something. How to work with their natural bents without letting it become a discipline issue. Using their strengths and redirecting. Maybe having a code word that will tell them that its getting to be too much. I've heard of people doing that. I've got to go to church now. I'll check back later! Thanks for the encouragement!