Menu

full time job

I'm praying not but it looks as if I will have to find a "real" full time job by summer. The problem is I have no current professional references. I was laid off my last job in 2000 after 9 years. Unfortunately, the lay off was ugly for several of us including me. I don't think the company would hurt me but they wouldn't go out of their way to help either. I've got great personal references. Any help, ideas, suggestions and prayers would be very much appreciated. I so don't won't to give up homeschooling and put my daughters in public school next year.

Thanks so much.

Judy

I've been homeschooling for the past 6 years but financially I'm going to have to find a job by this summer. My daughters are 11 & 7 so I don't think I'll be able to continue homeschooling unless I could find a part time job that pays enough. Most of the part time jobs in our area are retail or low paying clerical. My last position was as an analyst but those jobs often require considerable travel. Right now I'm not sure what kind of job to target. Mostly I would appreciate ideas about how to overcome the lack of current professional references. I am very out of practice finding a decent job not to mention a bit upset about the possibility of giving up homeschooling. Thanks.

I'd contact companies that offer full-time positions in your field, and see about the possibility of part-time employment with them. Once you get your foot in the door you'll suddenly have a current reference, and they'll probably be interested in offering you a full-time position when it becomes available.

I just put my four children (15, 14, 12, 11) in school last week, and I'm looking for a job, too. In my case, I want something part-time that involves no stress, thinking, planning, or teaching (LOL...can you tell that I want a break after 16 years of homeschooling?!), so I'm not looking for a "career" type job. Still, it was daunting not having current job references (I even had my own business, but I can't reccomend myself, lol).

I know giving up homeschooling must seem devestating to you, but remember - you will always be very involved in your daughters' educations, no matter who is their primary teacher. I've been very pleased to find that my boys come home daily and want to show me their work, ask my opinion, have me read over their writing assignments, etc. You'll find that you are still very much a part of their educations, no matter what.

Good luck.

Ria

Write down what you ahve been doing but from the point of view of your being a professional at it; ie, "not staying at home with my children," but "tutor to X children, responsible for curriculum evaluation most appropriate to each, teaching and monitoring progress," etc.

Also, the temp agency route is fabulous--both my sister and I got great jobs that way! (and you don't even have to take the job if you don't want to commit!)

Ria, aren't you going to nursing school?

You know you want to.

:D

Bwwaahhhaaahhaaa!!! Are you crazy? I used to think I wanted to...until DD got into a 5-yr BS/MS nursing program. No way. I'm done. I want to work at Wegmans and enjoy working, not stress over a job. Lord knows, I've earned it!!

Ria

I suggest tracking down & talking to your former supervisors about would they "be able to provide you with a strong positive reference" as you are job hunting. Be humble and be direct. If they hem or haw, do NOT use them as a reference. Ask any/all of them, at all levels. If none of them are possible, talk to coworkers, or even subordinates, asking the same question.

If feasible, take potential references out to lunch to chat and get reacquainted. At that time (or by email/letter if you won't be seeing them in person), give them a short 3-5 paragraph synopsis of your work experience at their company including your strengths and how you proved them on the job. Sell your self in the letter.

I provide people with references all the time and consider it one of the blessings of business ownership/management to be able to help people out in that way. Unless a former employee has *really* pissed me off (about one in ten), I can give a strong positive reference. However, if it has been more than 6 months since I worked with them, I often have trouble remembering much about their tenure! I have to look back in their employee file to remember anything and if they were good, that file is thin and not much help. Thus, I suggest the written reminder.

Title it something like "Just to help you recall my work history at Company X,Y,Z. . ." With subheadings "What, when, for who" under which you list your dates of employment, job title(s), supervisors, duties" and then some more with more specific accomplishments/strengths. They can be vague like "Very reliable & kind" with a paragraph saying that in 6 years working there, you only took one sick day when you were in the ICU from a 7 car pile up and that you remembered everyone's birthdays and were the cake coordinator. . ." To more specific job-related ones like "Reduced inventory costs by 7% each year. . ." . . . . Whatever your strengths are/were, sell them.

IMHO, employers checking references mostly want:

1) confirmation that your resume isn't lying. You were where you say you were doing what you say you were doing and

2) Insights into your personality/work ethic/team playing/etc. (were you reliable? kind? smart? team oriented? a bitch?)

FWIW, I think personal references are useless. If someone lists a family member or friend as a reference and the applicant is over 18 years old, it's a HUGE red flag for me. At the least, these "personal" references had better be 1) the pastor of the church where you do x,y,z volunteer work (not just a member!!) 2) any other supervisor/coordinator of a volunteer or other community work. 3) a teacher at a school you've recently attended and built some sort of meaningful relationship with (more than just a class or two -- i.e., research, etc) If they're just "friend" or family, then they are totally meaningless. I mean, if someone can't get 3 family or friends to vouch for them, that means they are in the bottom 1-5% of humanity. That doesn't do much to weed out the applicant pool if you're looking for the top 1-5%.

If it is reassuring, I think most of the time employers don't actually check the references. Like all human beings, we're shy and don't like to call people and talk. Sooo, worst case, list the three best PROFESSIONAL references you can get to agree to being your references, and then even if they hardly remember you (so long as they don't hate you) and can't say all that much great about you, they probably will never get called anyway. :)

Also, employers rarely check references until after your interview. So, if you make a great interview, and at the end of it remind them that it's been x years since you were in the work force, so Sally Jo at Company X might not remember about you, but really, you loved it there (never diss the ex-employer!!) and you'll love it here (be enthusiastic!!) and are so happy to be re-starting your career (believe this). . . Then, they probably either won't call the references at all b/c they are so eager to hire you and just don't want to bother, or at least they won't be surprised when the reference can't tell them much.