Menu

How long per day, per week does WT 2 take?

arcara

I'm trying to make a loose schedule for next school year to make sure that we will be able to realistically do everything I'm planning. We will be jumping into WT 2 without having done WT 1, so I have no idea how much time this program takes. How many days per week do you use it, 4 or 5? How long does your dc work each day?

TIA!

There are two sets of instructions included in the WT2 tm, one for daily lessons and one for co-op classes (weekly). I did the weekly lessons, because I was teaching it as a class. You might consider that. How it worked for us was one together time, where I taught the lesson as listed. We had an hour for the class, and in that time I could cover the entire WT2 lesson, get the dc started on their homework (the grammar and whatnot exercises), and edit their rough drafts. Before the next week's class, dd would need a session or two (a good hour or more) to finish the homework and write her draft. For the final drafts, which already had red ink spilled on them, we discussed her changes and then she dictated to me while I typed.

I liked teaching it this way, as it allowed her to push herself to do some things independently. It's an age where they start to push and want to be more independent anyway, so it's one way to get there. If that doesn't suit your situation, then I'm guessing 20-30 minutes a day would be more than adequate, with the day she writes her rough draft requiring more time. That's not true. Some of the outlining toward the end took a LONG time and would need to be broken up or have longer sessions (45 minutes). And I don't think it's just that she's slow. The models get really long toward the end and just flat time TIME to outline and rewrite!

We use it with the daily lesson plan. The amount of time it takes really varies. Anything other than writing the rough and final drafts of the story take my son 20-30 minutes a day. Writing that draft takes considerable time (especially since we are now into the multiple page stories). He needs a lot of help with his writing, so he writes it by hand. Then, we go over it and I type his thoughts and we think of ways to change the sentences to make them sound a little better. Then we save it. After this, he goes back and does any edits to that typed final copy which takes much less time than re-writing it each time. He struggles to make the "use your imagination" changes, so just coming up with those takes him a really long time too.