Menu

More Playmobil questions-how to organize them?!

Ds is about to turn 6, and he has been keeping his Playmobils pretty much in their original boxes up til now (except the castle and pirate ship that some of the guys "live" on.) He was visiting with a bigger boy who had them all dumped into one bin and now he wants to do that. But he's a neat freak and I think it will bug him after awhile to have them all mixed up.

I thought of maybe one of those rubbermaid thingies with the pullout drawers, but that's not portable enough. And it doesn't make sense to put them all in separate little plastic bins; if I do that, I might as well just have him keep them in the original boxes he already has them in. Any ideas-or should I just dump them all in one big bin?

We used the large plastic bins (like 30-gallon large), and sorted by theme. We had jungle, castle, modern, space, fort,dollhouse, and pirates. Lots of bins. Lots of Playmobil. This worked for us. The kids would play with one theme at a time.

Ria

We have a 30-inch table top that runs around 2 walls of the playroom. It's about 30 inches tall. There are big plastic tubs underneath the whole thing full of Playmobil pieces. On top of the table, the kids have a Playmobil city set up with the fire station, police station, houses, stores, airport, good grief, it goes on and on and on. They've got signs up with names of businesses---"Hair to Spare", etc. and my husband has his own parking spot in front of the hospital.:) My DH built the whole thing when we moved to this house, but it's not complicated at all and it allows them to leave out what they're playing with while still having room to store the extras. And we have A LOT of extras... Creativity is messy...

we use a BIG tackle box that opens up wide w/ a gazillion sections. They use it to sort all the minifig and eensy pieces of legos. It doesn't always stay sorted, but they LOVE to see all the pieces accessible as opposed to digging through the bottom of the bins.

i'll see if i can't find a link....

here ya go:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47338&highlight=tackle+box

We have loads of Playmobil and it's all dumped together into a couple of big containers. I'm a neat freak, and my guys are all pretty tidy, too, but they'd be beyond annoyed if I made them play by "theme". Let his imagination run free!

:iagree:

We have tons of Playmobil, too, and our children are very creative with it. I couldn't imagine trying to separate it by theme.

Ours is thrown in large Rubbermaid containers, except for the castles/large buildings, in the rare times they aren't playing with it.

GardenMom

lost at the bottom-that would be frustrating for him. And since I don't think dh is going to build us a setup like Sugarfoot is blessed to have, I may try to go with a combo of Peek's tackle box for smaller pieces and a tub for larger pieces. Peek, you also had some other good ideas on that thread you linked-thank you!

lost at the bottom-that would be frustrating for him. And since I don't think dh is going to build us a setup like Sugarfoot is blessed to have, I may try to go with a combo of Peek's tackle box for smaller pieces and a tub for larger pieces. Peek, you also had some other good ideas on that thread you linked-thank you!

YW!

we don't sort by theme either, just by size. The bin at the bottom of teh tacklebox holds a lot too.

I'm prodding dh to build something similar to what Sugarfoot's got, tho.... ;)

I'm in love! (Trofast system) But boy howdy-what a price! (Where's the smilie for dollar signs flying out of my ears?)

That is NICE!

It is a little pricey but it's great quality! You could always buy the bins with lids and stack them too, or place them on a bookshelf. The bins themselves are inexpensive. My girls can actually clean up their playroom now that I have everything organized in these bins and they know where things go. :D

We've got all the Playmobil in 3 or 4 giant Rubbermaid tubs, but I wouldn't recommend it. All the pieces are mixed together & it tends to frustrate the kids when they're looking for parts of a specific set. I'd love to keep it all in something else, but frankly we have way too much so I'm not sure what would even work!

We also use the Ikea storage system that was mentioned in a previous post - for both Legos and Playmobiles. My kids like to dump the entire bin on the floor in order to search for just the perfect tiny piece.:glare:

Yes, the pieces use to end up strewn from one end of the house to the other and beyond.......until we instigated the use of the king size fitted sheet. If you're going to dump, it must be in the sheet and it must stay in the sheet! This is sooooo easy for clean up - and they get to rummage freely through all the pieces.:001_smile:

I actually think it's reasonable for what you get with the IKEA, but I don't want to spend that right now. I think dh could probably make something similar-may be a great summer project! Thanks for the idea, Peek!

MINDY-my ds would think he died and went to Heaven if he went to your house! I can't wait to show him those picture tomorrow morning!

I love the dump-them-on-a-sheet idea.

Since ds is still only 5, we are just beginners with Playmobil, so today I bought a fairly shallow clear plastic bin that's about two and a half feet by one and a half feet or so. I figure it's shallow, so he can find the pieces better. (Of course the castle and pirate ship won't go in the box though.) Next time out I'm going to get a fishing tackle box for the tiny pieces, and we should be good to go for now. I know we're in for the long haul of many years of accumulating Playmobil, so we'll need that IKEA system soon! :lol:

It's really been interesting to watch-since putting them all in one box earlier today, he's been playing with them much differently tonight. Lots of combining going on, and more elaborate play. The dragon is riding in the trailer designed to tow motorcycles because he's injured and they need to transport him, etc. Before he only played with them within their own genres, so I think this will be great!!!! Thanks again!

Gosh, I've never even thought about organizing them according to theme. We just have them all combined in a huge rubbermaid bin so the kids can combine and play with whatever they want. I dont think I could organize according to theme. We have TONS of bins organized with ponies, dinos, cars, stuffed animals, dishes, marbles, little people....many more...I dont think I could add tons of playmobil bins to that as well.