Menu

Question 2: Is coconut oil terrible for our health? Someone at the gym was telling me

No. Fake fats are bad for us. (Fake FOODS are bad for us) Natural fats should be eaten in moderation, but are not terrible for our health. Coconut oil in particular is full of medium chain fats that are recommended for good health. It is high in lauric acid and it is low in Omega 6 EFAs, which the American diet is far too heavy on.

It also has a higher smoke point than butter or olive oil, which means it does not go rancid or break down as easily in the course of cooking.

No. Fake fats are bad for us. (Fake FOODS are bad for us) Natural fats should be eaten in moderation, but are not terrible for our health. Coconut oil in particular is full of medium chain fats that are recommended for good health. It is high in lauric acid and it is low in Omega 6 EFAs, which the American diet is far too heavy on.

It also has a higher smoke point than butter or olive oil, which means it does not go rancid or break down as easily in the course of cooking.

Agree. . .coconut oil is one of the main fats our family uses. You don't want refined coconut oil, though. Here's a website with info:

http://www.coconut-info.com/

Butter is a saturated fat. Coconut oil and butter are natural saturated fats. Butter has been much maligned in the past as a cause of heart disease. However, fake fats like margarine are much worse. They hydrogenation process creates a more harmful chemical. Coconut oil has been touted of late as a very healthy fat.

Regarding the fantastic feat of "losing your roll" and "not finding it again", it comes down to burning more calories than you are eating. Healthy fats are a part of a balanced diet. Not only are do they have nutrients our bodies need, but they also help you feel full, so you will eat less.

Let me just add on to my initial comments (and laugh my tuchas off at Colleen's reply) and say that calorically, fats are fats. They're pretty much the same. (except margarine, which seems to be a petroleum product and water. you should never eat that, though I will say that Earth Balance is not heinous, if you're avoiding dairy)

If your concern is calories, then use the fat that gives you the most flavor bang for your nutritional buck, depending on the application.