Menu

Spelling Power users...a question please

I have a few questions...I noticed that if the child spells the word correctly during the test, then he does nothing more with it. Is that correct? But, what if he only got it correct because he guessed correctly and may not know "why" he got it correct? Is there review, later on, built in for words that were correctly spelled on the test?

Have you found this an effective way to learn spelling?

Thanks for your time in answering my questions. :001_smile:

Yes, there is review.

I also give those words I think they might have guessed on again at the end of the week. What are the chances of them guessing correctly 2 different times?

My daughter doesn't like studying word that she already knows (I don't blame her). She doesn't mind being tested on words she already knows (she likes that)

Hello there :) This is our first year using Spelling Power so I can give a little insight. You are right in that a student only studies the words he/she gets wrong on the pretest. The built-in review is testing each word until it's spelled correctly at least once, review tests, delayed recall tests (2 for each level) and end-of-level tests. The manual also says that frequently misspelled words are all reviewed numerous times at higher levels.

I have found this an effective way for dd8 to learn spelling. The words are in groups with a particular rule, such as the same short vowel sound. We used Spelling Workout for a couple years. It was fine, but I did find we spent just as long working on words she knows versus words she spelled incorrectly.

BTW, I like the newer editions with a great quick start DVD.