Menu

Help me decide on piano

Quiver0f10

I apologize for revisitng this topic :o . I want my kids( 13, 12, 9, 8 and 5) to learn piano, but I have no music experience. I did buy Music Ace and we will be playing with that, but I envision more than this. I can't afford lessons right now though-well I might be able to for 1-2 of them. Do you think a mom with no music expereience can REALLY teach piano sucessfully? Someone showed me some books that look nice, but I am so nervous to take this on. Anyone else teach their kids piano?

you know how to play yourself and you have the patience.

I took piano lessons for the first 5 yrs with my older dc (back to back lessons, NOT in the same lesson). He's on yr 8 of piano lessons now. I can help my dc with basic piano but I don't have the patience to teach them nor am I advanced enough to teach beyond a VERY basic level of instruction.

Good piano instruction goes beyond getting the notes and beat correct. It's about dynamics and touch too and that takes years of playing the piano to be able to teach it, imho.

I have a very small music background since I played flute in junior high, high school, and a little college. It's been a long time since I've played and I when I started I knew nothing about the F clef.

I've incorporated music theory into our homeschool the R&S music program. I've also introduced my boys to piano by using Usborne 1st Book of Piano and then moved to the Bastien series. My older boys can read music and play a little on the piano. Neither one showed a great interest in learning, and no one showed a inherent talent for the piano. So for now, we are done with piano. I really didn't see any necessity to pay for piano lessons and then battle with them to practice. I'll do the same with my youngest. If he shows a greater interest or talent, then we might send him to formal piano lessons.

In some circles, playing an instrument seems to be the hallmark of a successful, homeschooled child. However, our family is just not musically inclined. I've accepted that and moved on.

Is there anyway that you could work out a 'group' lesson for your dc? The music instructors we have worked with say that it is very difficult for someone to learn from a book in an on-your-own way. After sitting in on yrs. of lessons I can now understand why. This is NOT meant to discourage you. I do know of instuctors who do private group lessons(far less expensive than individual private). It may fit your needs. Just a thought.

Do all of those kids you listed (13, 12, 9,8,5) all WANT to learn to play? It's better to spend lesson money on two kids who want to learn than 5 who could care less. I'd get lessons for the one or two of them who really crave it and just do a general music awareness something with the rest.

Thanks and good question OhElizabeth, I have no idea if they all want to LOL. I just want to make sure they all have the same opportunity. What if I don't give the 8 yo a chance and he would have, could have, gone far with music?

I did find a teacher today who is willing to barter and I am waiting to hear what she has in mind. I offered house cleaning, but she doesn't need a cleaner right now. Hopefully we can work soemthing out.

having the older two take lessons and then (if they have an aptitude)have them teach the younger ones in a few years. Most piano teachers I have talked to recommend not to start the kids before about 4th grade, when they can sit through an entire 30 minute lesson and pay attention.

Adrianne

A couple of thoughts:

Playing the piano properly requires much more than merely playing the correct notes and rhythm. Therefore, I would strongly recommend against a non-pianist trying to teach his/her children to play the piano. The same goes for having your older children teach your younger (unless of course your oldest turns out to be a Mozart). Your child might well get a number of bad habits ingrained that would have to be "unlearned" with a good teacher. However, a non-pianist/musician CAN help children learn things like notation, basic music theory, and music appreciation. FWIW, Music Ace Deluxe is a pretty good way of helping the kids learn the basics of music notation. (This is the part that's not much fun--sort of like memorizing your math facts--unlike getting to play pretty songs.)

To clarify, the problem I see is not with a mother teaching her children piano (that's certainly doable), but with a non-pianist trying to teach piano (and the same could be said for any other musical instrument).

Were I in your shoes and unable to provide lessons for each child, I would:

1. Require each child to learn basic notation skills and music appreciation. You can teach this at home. One aspect of this could be requiring the children to (with you) listen to great classical music (from radio/CDs). Use Google to research the composer and learn something about the form and style of individual compositions. (Is it in sonata form? Dance form? Does it involve melody and harmony or counterpoint? etc.) Utilize your public library to check out junior biographies of the great classical composers.

2. Look for a teacher who would be willing to give some group lessons initially. During this time, I would, together with the teacher, try to assess which children possess real music talent. Then try to provide individual lessons with a good teacher for that child/those children.

What clues might you see to budding musical talent?

-a keen sense of pitch and rhythm (Can the child sing a hymn in pitch without accompaniment?)

-keen interest

-child tries to reproduce music he/she has heard (perhaps picking out the melody on the piano, humming a melody you have listened to, etc.)

-self-discipline (A child who will not discipline him/herself to practice is not going to accomplish much musically.)

Hope this helps! Best wishes.