Menu

Moms of gymnasts

DD was just invited to join the team at the training center that we do the homeschool gym at. She is excited but scared. I am about to become a "sports" mom. :001_unsure: Anyways, my question is about an item they are supposed to have for practice. The paper calls it a "tummy band," but I cannot find anything with that name when I search the sites. Does anyone else have a gymnast that uses something you could describe as a tummy band? Could you point me in the general direction as to where to find one?

I've never heard of a tummy band. Coaches have preferences over items and that must be one of those things. :) Congrats on DD's new endeavor. And welcome to becoming a "sports mom"!

What are her training hours per week? When will she begin competition (next season?)? It's fun to watch our children find something they excel in, no matter what the hobby/sport. We've seen great strides in our children who have begun their own goal setting. The confidence spills into all facets of their lives.

Enjoy! (Oh, and buy a good stadium chair with a back.)

Congrats to your dd! When dd was starting out her coach had another mom make them "tummy bands" which were essentially pieces of elastic that they wore during practice to help them get used to holding their tummies in/keeping back straight. I don't know if that's the same thing you're referring to or not. It seems like they only used them for a month or so. I had almost forgotten about them.

My DD is a rhythmic gymnast, and they all wear back warmers because they stretch their backs so much, it helps to keep muscles warm. Its a thick piece of fleece worn around the waist/lower back. DDs is actually a neck gator of DH's, LOL, but the "real" ones Sasaki sells are like $40 and it works, so...!

I've never seen artistic gymnasts wear anything around their backs/waists, only rhythmic gymnasts, so I have no idea what it could be!

DD was just invited to join the team at the training center that we do the homeschool gym at. She is excited but scared. I am about to become a "sports" mom. :001_unsure: Anyways, my question is about an item they are supposed to have for practice. The paper calls it a "tummy band," but I cannot find anything with that name when I search the sites. Does anyone else have a gymnast that uses something you could describe as a tummy band? Could you point me in the general direction as to where to find one?

My 14yo was forced to quit team gymnastics when we moved due to cost and distance considerations and we both miss it so much! My advice is to encourage her as long as it remains fun for everyone. Feel free to drop it if it ever becomes too much like work. So much depends on the culture of the particular gym.

Congratulations to your daughter!

Barb

Congrats to your dd! When dd was starting out her coach had another mom make them "tummy bands" which were essentially pieces of elastic that they wore during practice to help them get used to holding their tummies in/keeping back straight. I don't know if that's the same thing you're referring to or not. It seems like they only used them for a month or so. I had almost forgotten about them.

My daughter is a competitive gymnast as well. We call them "belly bands." Buy 1 inch elastic and measure your daughter's waist, then sew it together one inch shorter.

Good luck!

Thank you. This is exactly what they were. She got to borrow one yesterday and I am making her some for Friday. So are these things supposed to be tightish around them? I was making it so it just fit comfortably but still seem on the looser side. I know the older girls also wear them as I saw them with them on yesterday.