Menu

The grammar in CW Homer A is going to make my head explode.

Rachel in KY

I've had very little grammar. I know the simple stuff like parts of speech and correct punctuation, but we've started parsing nouns and I'm trying not to cry. :o) Prepositional objects? Transitive verbs? Subject complements?

ARGH! I'm really struggling with this. I love the CW series, but can we get through it by doing our own grammar thing? Literary analysis is one thing, Harvey's is another.

Rod and Staff, anyone?

Rachel

I've had very little grammar. I know the simple stuff like parts of speech and correct punctuation, but we've started parsing nouns and I'm trying not to cry. :o) Prepositional objects? Transitive verbs? Subject complements?

ARGH! I'm really struggling with this. I love the CW series, but can we get through it by doing our own grammar thing? Literary analysis is one thing, Harvey's is another.

Rod and Staff, anyone?

Rachel

The Homer core also explains the grammar so if Harvey's is overwhelming (which I totally understand), does the core explain it in easier terms for you? You could use R&S alongside CW instead of Harvey's.

My favorite part of CW Homer is Analysis and Imitation on days 2-4.

I use these exercises to reinforce what they are learning in R&S. If we haven't covered a concept yet, I explain it quickly and give them the answer. We usually do the grammar work as a group, and I have the answer key in hand. Yes, you can drop the grammar component of CW, but I like the way they show how grammar is an integral part of writing.

The diagramming has been overwhelming in Homer B. I usually write the skeleton (or lines) on the whiteboard and let my boys fill in the correct words. There's no way I could begin to diagram these sentences because I'm just now learning advanced grammar, but again, it's a great visual for how intricate (but logical) good writing can be.

Well, I'll take a stab at this. Personally, I think the Harvey's Elementary Grammar & Composition book is more like a reference guide. There's no review and not much practice. I've had great success with R&S grammar (from 3 to 7), so there's no way I'm making a change. However, part of this is that R&S builds a strong foundation for grammar, and part of this is that I have a very weak background in grammar. I have both of the Harvey grammar books, and I can't imagine myself teaching from these books. I could do better now that I've had 5 years of R&S, but it would still be a stretch. Harvey's may be more advanced because it addresses all the grammar concepts in 2 books. R&S takes a slower, methodical approach from English 2 to English 9/10 that reviews and reinforces the concepts taught over many years. I'm sure there are parents out there that can teach grammar successfully from Harvey's; I'm just not one of them.

CW did produce workbooks for Harvey's, but I haven't seen them, so I can't comment on how they might help in teaching from these books.

Ok - so am I correct in understanding that Harvey's Grammar is very advanced (compared to R&S)? I ask because we are using R&S 4 and having success with it, but I was just given a copy of Harvey's and thought I might try it for 5th grade.......bad idea?

I don't know if "advanced" is the right term. It's archaic, really. We don't do English that way any more.

Years ago when Mott Media began reprinting Harvey's and Spencerian Penmanship and Ray's Arithmetics, many hsers were so excited, especially Principle Approach folks. But I think they've become less popular over time because we just don't do that any more. And I don't think that means that our English studies now are less comprehensive; they're just different.

I don't know if "advanced" is the right term. It's archaic, really. We don't do English that way any more.

I agree. Advanced doesn't really fit the samples I saw. It was just worded so differently than the terms we use that it was confusing.

I would use a different grammar program in place of Harvey's (R&S is great) and definitely continue the grammar portion of CW.

Years ago when Mott Media began reprinting Harvey's and Spencerian Penmanship and Ray's Arithmetics, many hsers were so excited, especially Principle Approach folks. But I think they've become less popular over time because we just don't do that any more. And I don't think that means that our English studies now are less comprehensive; they're just different.

Interesting. Right now I'm wondering what I'll use with Homer. So, Ellie - what do you use for grammar? Just curious.

thanks,