Menu

How did/do you use IEW's Poetry Memorization w/Kers?

Aloha2U

I plan on using Developing Linguistic Patterns Through Poetry Memorization Book and CD's beginning this fall w/Ker. I read the files in the IEW Yahoo group, but I'm curious how others use/used it w/Ker. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

:bigear: Thank you!

We have a "memory period" during our Circle Time where we're working on Poetry; Bible; Catechism; Counting (to 100 & skip counting); Your Name, Address, Phone Number, Parents; Counting; and whatever else I want them to know. I have all of this on cards in a file box a la Simply Charlotte Mason's instructions (although we don't have the # tabs in yet). I don't know how I'll do the longer poems, maybe just the title.

Anyway, we (me, my 3yo, my 4yo) say the poems we know, we listen to the CD (my kids like that!) of our old poems (just to hear the emphasis Mr. Pudewa puts on words) and then to him reading the current poem. Then I read it stanza for stanza and the kids and I repeat line by line. The 5th poem has several stanzas, so like our hymns, we're working on one stanza per week (I know we're supposed to do the whole poem, but they're 4 and 3!)

We also use it in the car. It works that way for us. Last year when we started I had a 5 yo and a 3 yo. They learned very fast using the cds. We are taking a break from them now to work on some other things in the car (Latin, skip counting, history) but we still review once a week or so and they all still have the poems memorized solid.

We would go thorugh the old poems once and then listen to the new ones 3 times and then we were done. They knew most of them pretty quick.

Like Ladydusk (who happens to be a friend :), we do our poetry during our circle time. Every day we listen to cd of the poem we are currently memorizing. Then I have the children repeat the stanza we are learning- usually 3 times. We then say the entire poem as far as we have memorized. We review several poems each day. (They recommend you review every other one each day but since we are in the 2nd level & have a ton of other memory work to get through, we do not do that many.) My kiddos are 8 and under, so I am keeping their poetry work together- we do not move on to a new poem until the 4 year old gets it. But he gets it FAST! :)

HTH,

Heather