Menu

RE: CLE Products

Julie

I received my math 1 last week and it looks like a real winner, I will use it along with the RSM games, thanks to everyone who provided input on this.

I find the materials so impressive that I was wondering if anyone used any of their other products, Bible, LA etc., good, bad?

Additionally, I am curious how far users of CLE Math have gone, if you switched where did you go and which grade did you make the change?

Has anyone used the middle school math? I am now pondering this for my 5th grader, has anyone used this level?

Thanks!!

I am so glad to hear that you like CLE. I am looking at it for my boys this fall. I haven't looked at it in person. I have only seen the samples online and read about it. I am also interested in hearing more about Language Arts and Reading. I am pretty sure we are going to use it for Math. We do SWR and GWG right now, but we need more. I like the look of CLE very much.

Good Luck... Cindy

We use CLE math 7 then start Algebra 1 depending on the child or Pre algebra. We have also used CLE reading ( I like this for middle school but my kids don't), CLE LA(I prefer Rod and Staff, so depending on the child, we go the workbook route or the textbook route) and CLE Bible in grades 1 and 2.

We love CLE math! It is academically sound, and even rigorous, but gentle at the same time. I love how each unit has a theme that is carried through in the problems. My dd love learning facts about other countries as she is doing her math. Additionally, CLE excels at drilling facts without it seeming like a burden. We have tried, Horizons, Singapore, Calvert and MUS, and CLE is my favorite math curriculum hands down. Plus, this is the first one my dd has tolerated and even liked on good days.

I also love the Language Arts! It streamlines the day and gives excellent instruction, including sentence diagramming.

It has worked well for us to use the CLE reader as devotional reading, since the stories are uplifting and have Christian truths. This is one Christian book that my dd LOVES reading.

Great curriculum! God has really blessed the CLE curriculum writers with wisdom - we love CLE.

Tami,

Thanks for your review in the CLE products, I imagine I will be investing in others.

It looks like you and I have been through the same list of math curricula :). My bigger two are doing MUS right now, it is okay, but I am on in love with it by any means, it is an improvement over many of the others I have tried.

CLE LA: I have a 5th and 6th grader, would it work to combine them?

In terms of math placement, how did you opt for a level? DD is doing the MUS for a 5th grader, but again we are not smitten with the program by any means, but it is an improvement.

Lastly, back in the fall you posted the schedule you are using for your 7th grader, I have saved it to impliment next year, it looks fantastic and I found it inspiring. Like you I have CM leanings.

I switched younger ds to CLE math 5 after he used R&S math 1-4, but this was after I bought CLE math 5,6 & 7 to look ahead and make sure it led us to the math we needed (more algebra, geometry & std test math). (My older ds used R&S math 3-6,8.) I glad we made the switch! He's currently using CLE math 6 with success.

I was SO happy that we used CLE reading 7 & 8 for my older ds. It prepared him very well for literary analysis at his private high school.

My dd is using CLE Bible & Social Studies and does not complain that it's boring. In fact both her & I have learned a lot. Next year she will use CLE Social Studies, Science, Reading & Bible (still not sure about grammar yet)

My 7 & 8 yr olds are using CLE Math grades 1 & 2. My first grader started with grade 1 Light Unit 104 in Jan. He is now on L.U. 107.

My 2nd grader started Math 2 at the beginning in Jan and is now on L.U. 202.

Next year these to dc will also switch to CLE for Social Studies, Science, Reading and maybe Bible.

My oldest is switching next year to everything but Language Arts.

HTH,

Edited by Homeschooling6

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I will definately be looking into other CLE subjects.

MIch elle, did you do a placement test when you switched from RS or did you just make a judgement call based on the math you purchased. Also, I would love to hear you comments on the IG's for the 6th and 7th grades. Are the explanations and samples good, and how teacher intensive is it?

Thanks again one and all.

We switched several years ago after using RightStart for math, and have been very happy. I just looked at the scope-and-sequence to place them. I've used their Math 2-6.

Next year my older one will be going to MUS pre-algebra from CLE Math 6. We plan to use MUS for the upper grades, and that seemed like a better transition than going from CLE Math 7 to MUS algebra. He's benefitted from all the review in CLE, but has asked for something with less review, so that was a factor in my decision.

We've used Reading 2-6, and also plan to continue with that. I tried their language arts and wasn't happy with the all-in-one approach, so we use other materials for grammar, spelling, and writing.

My younger one will use CLE Science 5 and CLE Social Studies 4 next year while the older one gets most of his subjects at an academic co-op. After that I'm not sure if we'll continue with their science or not. I have issues with the more historical social studies programs because we are not pacifists, so we will be using other programs after that.

My oldest is doing R&S Bible 5 and wants to continue.

HTH!

Edited by GVA

My 12 yo (7th grade) daughter will be taking the math LU test for 507 tomorrow. I think she will also get through 603 this school year. I am considering having all the children work on math some through the summer because they seem to loose their edge by the time we get back to work in August. I am not sure. Each time I say this it never happens.

We also use their LA and reading. I do not use the spelling or handwriting portion of the LA, but the grammar is good. I don't have a problem keeping what works and dropping the parts that don't. We use the LU that go with the reading because the LU cover vocabulary, roots, literary terms, etc. It is a good foundation for high school lit.

Jennie

MIch elle, did you do a placement test when you switched from RS or did you just make a judgement call based on the math you purchased. Also, I would love to hear you comments on the IG's for the 6th and 7th grades. Are the explanations and samples good, and how teacher intensive is it?

I didn't have my ds take the CLE math placement test because I knew he would place a year behind based on the CLE scope & sequence chart. (Yes, R&S math is behind CLE math.) It was easier to fill in the gaps while doing CLE math 5 then put him in CLE math 4 and try to do ALL that math to catch up (cheaper too). It worked well except that we finished CLE math 509 in June of gr.5; then started gr. 6 this fall with CLE math 510 & skipped CLE math 601, which is review of math 5, and started with 602 (it all worked well) for gr. 6.

CLE math is NOT teacher intensive. I do the beginning of the lesson with him and then he does the rest himself which is most of the lesson. There is lots of repetition because they constantly review previous material which my ds needs. If it's too much, I cross some problems out.

I don't use the CLE math teacher's guidebook; I started to but found it we didn't need it. It would be needed if my ds stuggled with math. It has extra tests, worksheets, S&S, math reference charts and other helpful info.

Can anyone tell me what the Bible is like? What is a typical lesson like?

Do the children read directly from the Bible?

Is it mostly fill in the blank, multiple choice type questions?

Does it include doctrine (CLE's doctrine won't be a problem for us, if it is)?

I have looked for sample pages and can't find any.

I want something next year for my son who will be a fifth grader.

This is my first year using CLE Math and LA for my 4th grader. We love it so much. It is the best Math for sure and I also love how LA is streamlined, but know that some prefer the components separate. We are also using Reading for 4th and 6th. My youngest will be using CLE starting in first and I hope to never have to switch again--unless it just really doesn't work for him.

We have used MUS, Horizons, MCP, and SOS for Math and this is by FAR the best! And, a ton of stuff for LA--this is also awesome!

There are placement tests that you can purchase on the website and samples as well. The yahoo group will also give you more info.

I just read a rave review on it this morning about the Social Studies that someone had just ordered.

HTH!

Again, thanks to everyone who provided feedback on their CLE experiences. I am definately going to check into the LA and Rreading for DD, and the upper level math for the other DD. I have a handle on history and science, but who knows? :)