Menu

Alexander the Great's Kingdom Divided into 3? 4?

The book I have says 4. (Cassander took Macedonia and Greece, General Lysimachus, Asia Minor and Thrace, To Seleucus I Nicator went Mesopotamia and Syria, Ptolemy I, Egypt and Palestine) I can't find references to confirm this. I have been told that SOTW says 3 and MOH says 4, but that there were only 3 generals. So... anyone have more info on this?

Didn't you name four generals in the OP?

My understanding that it was four parts, but one of them quickly got "sucked into" another - meaning it didn't last very long. So, since the more "permanent" result was three, many sources just say three.

But, remember, I didn't look anything up. :D

The split of Alexander's Empire is covered in Lesson 86 of Volume I. She has that:

Ptolemy gained Egypt

Lysimachus ruled Thrace and Asia Minor

Seleucus got Syria, Mesopotamis, and Persia

Cassander took Macedonia and Greece

She then goes on to say that over time three dynasties remained strong from the four kingdoms.

Prophecy concerning this is in Daniel 8.

Diana Waring's materials show three kindgoms by 281. A bible note (from the Archaological study bible) says that Lysimachus was slain in battle in 281 and no dynasty followed him.

I have a map in my bible that shows the four divisions by territory.

What type of research are you looking for exactly? At least the territories and names seem to match up from all the info. I have. What do you mean by archaeological evidence? Just trying to help! Keep me posted with what you find.

My book on Daniel's Prophecy states that Cassander's lineage died out and his portion went to Lysimachus in 285 B.C.E. Lysimachusfell in battle 4 years later.

Knowing what MOH and Diana Warring say helps. I wanted to know if any other sources agreed with this, and I am going to search for more information.

Of course, there are facts in the Bible that have not lined up with archeology in the past, and they were later found to be true, so I don't insist on archeological evidence for everything... I just did not know where these different assertions were coming from.