Menu

Getting started with Latin or Latin's not so tough for 4th grader?

bethben

I have one using Latin's Not So Tough right now and I think it is the worst Latin curriculum I have ever seen or used, bar none.

It's horribly disorganized, is totally confusing, the teacher info is sparse (good luck if you are a total novice, lol), and it is just about to kill my kid's enjoyment of Latin.

I do like the pre-made flash cards...;)

hth,

Georgia

My vote is for GSWL. My 4th grade ds (B) is using this with success. It teaches one concept at a time, teaches grammar concepts in English before Latin, and has free audio files available online.

He used Latin's Not So Tough the last two years. It starts off very gently; I think book two is just latin vocab. Book three completely frustrated him. Even though it did teach one concept at a time, he had trouble applying endings he'd leanred with one word to other words. (This was his problem with Latin for Children, too.) GSWL is much more explicit in its explanations, with a fairly limited vocabulary to allow the student to really focus on the grammar.

One advantage of LNST is that it is in a workbook format. GSWL requires writing sentence translations onto a separate piece of paper. This is working surprisingly well for B, however, in spite of the fact that he's normally writing phobic. Getting to listen to the lesson at the computer is a huge motivator for him, and I think he's relieved to finally have a Latin program he understands.

HTH