Menu

ALL ABOUT SPELLING - Question

travelbug

How old is your dd?

I love AAS. It's a great incremental program with built-in review. I love that it teaches rules but recognizes the exceptions. (You get to throw those in "jail," something ds loves!)

Level 2 does begin with review of the rules taught in Level 1. Whether or not to skip Level 1 really depends on the skills your child already has. If nothing else, you can order Level 1 to look at. If you feel it's not the right thing, it's fully returnable.

We did Level 1 just to make sure ds had all the rules. We buzzed through it in a couple of months but it was well worth the time and effort. Now we're in the middle of Level 2 and moving much slower, doing a lesson a week. I'm very pleased with the results I'm seeing, not just with spelling but also with reading.

My daughters are in 4th grade and are 9 year old. The started in 3rd grade at age 8 with Level 1. I do not regret going through level 1 with them at all. One of my girls has some processing issues, and this program has really, really helped her. The other girl is more of a natural speller, but does well with it also.

Personally, I would not want to skip level 1 with a 6 yo.

Jennie

]

I love AAS. It's a great incremental program with built-in review. I love that it teaches rules but recognizes the exceptions. (You get to throw those in "jail," something ds loves!)

Level 2 does begin with review of the rules taught in Level 1. Whether or not to skip Level 1 really depends on the skills your child already has. If nothing else, you can order Level 1 to look at. If you feel it's not the right thing, it's fully returnable.

We did Level 1 just to make sure ds had all the rules. We buzzed through it in a couple of months but it was well worth the time and effort. Now we're in the middle of Level 2 and moving much slower, doing a lesson a week. I'm very pleased with the results I'm seeing, not just with spelling but also with reading.

I totally agree - I did the same thing with my ds. :iagree:

On the website you can find some dictation phrases and sentences to 'test' your dc and see if she would be ok skipping level 1. I did skip level 1 with my 6-y-o, but she had just gone through a very good phonics/spelling program in which she learned all the phonograms and many spelling rules. We spent a couple of weeks on the 1st step of Level 2, and she's doing wonderfully. She will begin level 3 in a couple of weeks.

Here's a link to the FAQ about whether to start in level 1 or 2. Even many older kids start in level 1, so I'd be surprised if she knew everything already. But it's possible to move through it more quickly in the spots where she knows things.

On mastering the sounds of the phonograms, you want to remember that O has 4 sounds, ch has 3, s has 2 etc... when you are evaluating that part. If you do start with level 2, you'll still want the Level 1 pack that has all of these in it.

To decide if she knows the basic rules, read through the scope & sequence page & make sure she knows all of those.

HTH! Merry :-)