Menu

What is your planned middle school math progression/programs?

JaniceO

Interesting how it varies so very much between countries. Over here we take a 2 year math course (Y11 & 12) ending in tertiary entrance exams and depending on your ability depends on which level math you take. The highest level math is G & T and applicable math. Physics is a science stream and a different subject altogether. Applicable covers algebra, probability, statistics & calculus.

If you are not good enough to take that then you take foundation math which is basic algebra but it limits your entrance into math orientated university courses. No engineering, science etc from this option.

My plan is to get my DC through as much math as possible (mastery) and then see which level they will need to be in for tertiary entrance examinations. Y11 & 12 will be focused on those exams. Hopefully they will take the higher level math.

Our goal is for DD to enroll in my college, which takes a basic diploma/transcript with Algebra, Geometry and Algebra 2, so we are safe! Whew! All this talk of Latin and vocabulary, 4 years of math beyond Algebra.... and DH has to remind me of our goals. We don't plan on DD even wanting to go to a top college. Careers are not the most important thing in life. If she chooses to go to a top college, then she can always take math courses at my college first, :) right here at home.