Menu

Questions for Lutherans:

This is really sort of two questions really. One is that I am hoping for opinions on the two new Lutheran Study Bibles that are to be published this year, one by Augsburg Fortress and the other by Concordia Publishing House. (The Augsburg site has samples, I found samples of the Concordia version here) I know that the Augsburg is based on the NRSV and the Concordia on the ESV, but beyond that, I'm not familiar with the theologians involved, and I'd love to have some idea of how liberal or conservative, scholarly or general reader-y these two Bibles might be!

The other question is, how conservative do Lutherans get? (Okay, I know that is not phrased well at all!) I'm assuming that the Concordia will be more conservative than the Augsburg, just because they are using the ESV, but does that mean Calvinist? This is probably a really stupid question, but I don't know any Lutherans to ask!

Just for background, I am an Episcopalian. Among our congregation I would be considered quite conservative, but that is not saying much. I currently have The New Interpreter's Study Bible, which uses the NRSV. A friend gave me a Reformation Study Bible, and while I really like the ESV translation, the notes are just too Calvinist for me. So I am looking for a More conservative but not Super conservative study Bible. If that makes sense.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who might care to give your opinion on this!

I'm not Lutheran, but Corcordia Publishing is run by the Missouri Synod Lutherans. They are definitely more conservative than the ELCA, which runs Augsburg. I'm pretty sure neither group would be considered Calvinist. As a conservative Episcopalian, you'll probably find the LCMS closer to your beliefs than the ELCA. You can see LCMS doctrinal statements here. ELCA doctrinal statements are available here.

Then there are some very small other groups.

Of the three, the ELCA is the most liberal, and has become much more so during the past 10 years, although this varies markedly from church to church. It is very much like Mainsteam Protestantism. Augsburg is one of their publishing houses.

The LCMS is pretty conservative, but not as uniform as it once was. Its seminaries are still quite conservative. It teaches that the Lutheran Confessions are an accurate depiction of the word of God, and pastors promise to uphold them both. Concordia Publishing House is their only publisher, and is quite Biblically conservative.

The WELS is more conservative yet. Main differences from the LCMS include banning participation in scouts and the lodge, and banning prayers with non-WELS Christians unless the WELS person leads the prayer. Also in general WELS is the most consistent synod--practices and beliefs do not vary from place to place hardly at all. Northwestern is their only publisher and is quite Biblically conservative.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I use the Concordia Self-Study Bible in NIV, and have found it to be extremely helpful in personal study as well as in homeschooling my daughter. It sounds like the new Lutheran Bible from CPH will take the Self-Study Bible a step further in 'Lutheranization'. I will probably buy one, but I have to say the the NIV one is the most complete and useful one volume Bible that I have ever seen, and this new one will have to go a very long way to beat it. The CPH Bible is used a great in LCMS and WELS churches in our area, for Bible studies and also by pastors and in confirmation classes.

I would expect the Augsburg Bible to be more theologically liberal than either of the Concordia offerings, to reflect its audience, but I don't know for a fact that it will be.

...and I'm by no means an "expert," but when I was reading the Calvinist thread on here the other day it seemed quite different than what I'm used to. Our church is Missouri Synod affiliated (is that the right word? I dunno!:)), and much of what I have read from Concordia I have liked. SO......I'm not really any help. Just saying "Hi, I'm Lutheran." ;)

Melissa in St Louis

That would be a contradiction in terms.

So, how conservative are they?

Speaking of the LCMS (Missouri Synod, a name depicting the roots of this mostly American church body), some of its conservative beliefs and teachings include young earth 6 day creation, moral opposition to abortion, male pastors only--just to give you a flavor.

We focus on the Gospel--the good news of Christ's salvation. Everything else is looked at in relation to that. We don't mix Law and Gospel, although we teach both.

We tend to use the ancient forms of the Divine Service, although we don't require that every congregation do it the same way.

We have a tremendous focus on Education. We have the second biggest network of Christian elementary schools in the country (after Catholic ones.) We always offer Sunday School and Bible class in addition to divine services. It is common to offer Vacation Bible Schools. Our publishing house publishes an outstanding line of Biblical textbooks that are used in other denominations' Christian schools as well, because they are so good. (I use their Voyages curriculum in homeschooling, and I really like it.)

We practice infant baptism. Later, around 7th grade, children begin to study for Confirmation. Usually we confirm kids at the end of 8th grade or in the middle of 9th grade. Confirmation is quite serious and solemn, but is not considered a sacrament. At Confirmation, children who were baptized before they were able to answer for themselves confirm that they truly do believe in God as was promised on their behalf at Baptism. Pastors almost always provide the confirmation training personally, and then certify that the kids are ready, and they are examined publicly in some way prior to confirmation. Usually, but not always, confirmation is required before taking communion.

Many thanks to all of you! Those links were helpful, Drew! Hi, Melissa! I suspected that Calvinist probably wasn't the best word, but I couldn't figure out what the right word was. Hope I didn't offend, Carol! You answered my questions wonderfully well, anyway. Aside from the literal 6 day creation, the LCMS sounds in line with what I hoped. I'll take a look at that Concordia Self-Study Bible in NIV that you mentioned, but the press info. for the Concordia ESV study Bible makes particular mention of footnotes from the writings of the early church fathers, which sounds really neat to me. Again, thank you!