Menu

Tax help....dual enrolled student?

I just got a 1098-T from my daughter's college. I didn't know that we were eligible for anything to do with her schooling because she's 16, a high schooler until May. I filed our taxes two weeks ago (btw, I found another mistake also...both mistakes would have gotten us at least a little more money).

Anyway, so I can amend our taxes after we receive the refund (according to taxact.com) but I'm unsure of what exactly I'm doing. Does she get the same tax breaks I got even though she's not a full time student? Will the program know what to do with a high schooler in college?

Does anyone know anything about any of this?

Colleges send these out to everyone who took a class with them and leave it up to you to determine if you qualify. I got one even though the CC that I work for paid for the class, so obviously I can't claim either.

The Hope Credit is for students who are enrolled at least half-time in a post-secondary degree program and are in the first two years of their degree. There are other rules that you can read on the IRS website (which is as clear as mud): http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq/0,,id=199791,00.html

I remember going through this when my oldest was enrolled as a high schooler. At the time we determined she was not eligible for the credit unless we graduated her. We didn't want to do that because she would then be ineligible for University scholarships.

Barb

I just got a 1098-T from my daughter's college. I didn't know that we were eligible for anything to do with her schooling because she's 16, a high schooler until May. ...

We had the same situation last year and did some research. What we determined is that the tax benefit applies ONLY to students who have graduated from high school. Since we are considering our daughter's college classes to be a part of her high school education, we did not claim the benefit. (We don't want to run the risk of her not being fully eligible for financial aid in the future.)

Regards,

Kareni

Okay...thanks y'all :) It doesn't seem to be clear, but I'd rather than it over the NEXT two years anyway. Not to mention that I just realized I didn't make the other mistake either so I really don't want to amend the taxes :)

My direct deposit is supposed to be here TODAY. I sure hope it is. I so want to use it ASAP.

Hmmmm.....if it's for the first two years of their degree program, it kinda makes sense to claim it even if they are technically still a high school student. Because otherwise, they'll end up having too many credits to use it the second year?

At least at the CC where I work, you aren't allowed to enroll for a degree until you've graduated from high school (i.e finished with secondary education) or have passed the GED.