Menu

Algebra question 9th grade

Hello,

My dd is in 8th grade and is just finishing Math-U-See pre algebra and beginning Math-U-See Algebra. I have heard that many PS do not start Pre-algebra until 8th, but it is different here in MA.

From what I understand in MA they do Pre-Algebra in 7th and Algebra one in eight. Then they do Algebra I again in 9th with a different program. I know that Math-U-See is not a strong Algebra program and so am struggling on where to go after we finish Algebra 1 in math-U_see.

Should I start a better Algebra I program in the fall when she starts 9th grade? She is being tutored now to help catch up. We own Life of Fred, but dd finds it difficult right now.

Kathy

I've never heard of a school doing ALgebra I twice (8th and 9th) but I LIKE the idea. Though I did fine through Algebra the first time, I changed situations and had to take Algebra I again. At the time, I was frustrated with it and thought my straight 99 average was proof I didn't need it. However, it made me SO much more able and confident.

So much so that my daughter did two of each high school level (she's now 16 in college). My son did two Pre-Algebras and is starting his second Algebra later this semester (he's an 8th grader).

If your dd is having trouble starting Algebra, I'd probably wait. It is imperative that she has the foundational maths down. It would be better for her to get less math but do it WELL (and be able to move on to whatever she wishes later down the line) than for her to try to move on one day with a weak pre-algebra/algebra I foundation.

Because of a post on this board, we switched to http://www.systemath.com *I* have already learned things and this after doing all my math, tutoring, and getting 2 kids through Algebra I (and one much further!). My son was doing FINE with Dolciani Algebra I (after Lial's BCM then Dolciani for Pre-A). But he was missing "something." The article about the Mynah Bird on the right hand side of the page helped me SO much. Another GOOD thing about the program is that backing up a bit doesn't hold you back X number of years because there aren't 180ish lessons per level. You probably will have to slow down on some things, but will have a lot of opportunity to move on also.

Other people like Teaching Textbooks. Lial's is meant for better self-learning and makes sure it covers topics from an elementary level to a high school level (it is often used in remedial college courses).

Anyway, not sure I was much help. I've seen all over this board people using more than one pre-algebra or algebra program. I do it as a philosophy, basically, but it just often happens also.

Our district made my dd, who had Algebra 1 in 8th with a grade of B, retake it in 9th "since otherwise it won't count for college" which I think is bogus. Since dd mostly got her "B" by extra credit points from dragging me into Parent/Teacher day (100 points!) and always showing her homework at the start of class (10 daily points!) even though hubby (the math guy here) would look at it later and say it was mostly WRONG) I do not mind that dd has to retake the class. She would bomb her tests in 8th grade...yet still get enough points to get a B??????

When my youngest goes to school next year (she is champing at the bit!) I will INSIST the school let us still do math (Chalkdust!!!) AT HOME and not deal with the poor teaching and noxious textbook used in our district for middle school math.

In our county - in fact in all of the counties around here - Algebra 1 is done by the majority of students in the 8th grade and counts for high school credit. 9th grade is Geometry (or Algebra II if you prefer that sequence). There is no need to do Algebra 1 twice unless the student fails.

As far as program, I'd recommend VideoText. It is very well-explained and easy to use. It's rigorous. Best of all, they combine Algebra I and II into a course that can be used in 1 or 2 (or more) years. So it's great for a student who needed to mature or develop math-wise but then needs to accelerate and get back on track with math. Remember, most traditional Algebra II text contain substantial Algebra I review (another reason that doing Algebra I twice makes no sense). So instead VT has put all the Algebra I and II concepts into one program you can pace it as necessary.

It's a very good program that we have been quite happy with.

Heather

we have what I'd call "the death march to Algebra."

Students are placed in Extended Math in 6th grade (pre-algebra at break-neck speed, advertised as 2 years in 1!!) and are expected to be firmly ready for Algebra in 7th or 8th grade.

Kids drop out like flies. The kids that survive it have been rushed through the fundamentals and are receiving help from their parents and or tutors. You can stay on track by maintaining a "C" which can be done with homework and extra credit - even if you fail the tests.

My bf pulled her kid out because he was making "C" and she knew darn well he had a shaking foundation. He's getting A's in basic math and hopefully will be prepared for Algebra in 9th (or 10th).

The whole Algebra by 8th grade is bogus. It's robbing many students of their love for math and they will remain behind forever or until some parents get a clue.

OK, off my soapbox.

K

Jacobs geometry has algebra I review built in, so you'll be able to notice if there are algebra I gaps that need filling.

We then moved on to Foerster's for algebra II and now pre-calc. We used Aleks for review at several points. For kid number 2, we used MUS through pre-algebra and then switched to Jacobs Algebra. (I like the wordiness of Jacobs for my particular kids.) I like Jacobs algebra too--and this particular kids is sailing through it.

If your dd is comfortable after doing MUS algebra, I think you can go on to geometry. If she needs more review, you could use Aleks to drill if there are just a few trouble spots. We don't feel that dd was set behind by using MUS algebra I.

In our MA town, those who wish to major in science or math take Algebra 1 in gr 8, at least those in the honours program do, but others may as well, but do not repeat it. Those who want to go into those areas usually do pre-Algebra in gr 8.

While we use MUS, we've chosen not to use it as a stand-alone program. My eldest is doing very well with an older Doliciani Algebra text, but liked Lials. However, she likes to learn from the text, so Dolciani is better. I have a used copy of Foersters, and think it would work. What I don't like based on our experience is Teaching Textbook or Jacob's. TT just seemed lacking, and Jacob's was boring, but I know others who have done well with Jacob's. If we were to use MUS for high school, it would only augment another program.

Dd has actually done Alg 1, but is redoing it with a more rigourous, theoretically, proof-based program. However, she started Algebra at 11, but lacked the patience for long problems back then. She hopes to win a full scholarship so she can move away from home for university (she'll have to greatly improve her work habits before that happens!!!), so she agreed to redo Algebra to become really strong at it. Also, she has finally fully realized that Math isn't so bad because she needs it to pursue science.

we have what I'd call "the death march to Algebra."

The whole Algebra by 8th grade is bogus. It's robbing many students of their love for math and they will remain behind forever or until some parents get a clue.

OK' date=' off my soapbox.

K[/quote']

Actually, I think the problem with ps is that students are not all ready for Algebra at the same age. Some kids thrive with Algebra by 8th grade, but the fact is that most kids aren't mature enough for long problems before about 13. Others may not be ready until 13, 14, 15 or later (one poster on one of these boards wasn't ready until she was in college!)

I TOTALLY agree that pushing kids too fast robs them of their love for math. OTOH, some kids hate math even when they're good at it. I have one of those, although when she started Algebra, she hated it far less than she hated regular arithmetic, etc.