Menu

I have a question for any Civil Air Patrol mom's?

My son has been in CAP for 2 years. He works hard, volunteers to help out, attends activities & events, passes his tests, etc. Since he's joined there have been 3 occasions that other boys (newer to the group) have been promoted to staff positions. We told ds that it was probably because they were older (although 1 wasn't). We told him that if he were interested in a staff position, he should approach the teenager-in-charge (1st Lt) and ask what, if anything, he could do to improve his chances of becoming staff. The 1st Lt told him there wasn't anything he needed to work on and that there weren't any staff positions open. Well, last night, a boy that started CAP at the same time was promoted to a staff position. This boy is very nice but doesn't yet have a 101 card, doesn't attend SAREX, only attends enough activities to be promoted and my ds says never ever volunteers in any way to help out. The other boy was told he was chosen over ds because he talks more. My ds completely disagrees and says the other boy never talks at all!

While this probably sounds a bit like a momma-bear rant, I'm honestly not sure what to tell him to help him. He's genuinely very frustrated and admitted last night that it hurts. We volunteered to send an inquiry -what can he do - to one of the adults in charge of the group but my ds seems to think that it's really the teenager-in-charge decision and he thinks if we talk to an adult, it will only hurt his chances further. The 1st Lt is only a junior in hs so he'll be there another 20 months or so and I don't want my ds to quit out of frustration if we can help in some way.

Would you encourage your son to talk to the 1st Lt again? An adult?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

my son is no longer in CAP but when he was, there was a well-defined path for advancement. in fact, it is documented when a cadet is not progressing in the usual time frame.

has your son been promoted at all? promotion involves studying the materials in the different workbooks, taking the regularly scheduled tests, passing the physical requirements established for that rank, and going before the promotion review boards which happen about every two months.

the Lt. Colonel in charge of my son's squadron encouraged parent involvement especially when a cadet was not moving up as expected. we spoke a lot...

edit: just saw that you did say he was taking the tests. hmmm. even if you don't tell your son, i don't think an email to the squadron commander would hurt. it least it wouldn't in my son's squadron.

Edited by Deidre in GA

Sounds to me like the 1st lt is playing favorites, unfortunately, this happens everywhere, scouts, sports, even in the workplace. I think I would have your ds talk to him again, respectfully listing his own qualifications, and ask him why others who don't put in as much time/effort are being promoted.

Are there certain qualifications one must meet in order to be staff? If so, make sure that the ones that are getting promoted, are qualified. If they aren't, I would make sure ds brings that to the lt.'s attention as well. (Make sure he doesn't whine though) If he doesn't get results, or a satifactory answer, then absolutely go w/ the adult inquiry.

wasn't clear. Yes, he is getting promoted. He passes all his tests on the first try and passes all other requirements. He is currently a senior master sergeant. What he's frustrated with is not gaining rank or rather, not getting additional "staff" responsibilities. Before the last teenage-commander left, he was going to make ds 1st Sgt in charge but didn't move on it fast enough before he left for college. The new 1st Lt just doesn't seem to be interested in moving ds along in any responsibility. I guess you can be a high grade (like master sergeant) but be a lower rank than an Airman if you never get any tasks/jobs. That's what seems to be happening. Ds seems to be doing everything he's supposed to do. The boy who got the "job" last night regularly calls ds to ask him questions about things.

Do you think a call/email into an adult will be detrimental or helpful?

karen

I totally get the favorites thing and I know it happens everywhere. I'm just trying to figure out whether I should encourage him to ignore it for the next almost 2 years or go further with his concerns. Also, he doesn't whine at all, not even to us.

I would talk to/email the LTC and ask him how these assignments are made.

I don't believe that the teenager in charge really makes these decisions without talking to the LTC, even if he gives that impression. If he does, then the LTC needs to know that the teenager in charge isn't behaving professionally about it. Leadership in CAP isn't based on favoritism or who "talks more," or who he knows better.