Menu

wtm and lcc differences

5Youngs

can someone tell me how these programs are different?

i am trying to find a used lcc book, which is extremely hard~

curiosity is gnawing at me.

i'm especially curious as to the middle years.

especially wondering if i am keeping my 6th grader up to speed, while trying to avoid wearing him out~

we've done wtm and a little cm up to this point.....

I loved reading WTM; I'd say that LCC 2nd edition is what you want...and if you want to use it...I would just buy it. It's worth it! I have the 1st edition somewhere....but I really like the 2nd better.

I can see using it all the way up. I am planning on Classical Conversations' Challenge program for my now 5th grader, when she's in 7th. But, I will add many things from LCC, because educationally...I don't think it can be beat. I have the book, and am happy to answer direct questions...whenever I get it back.

I think that one of the best things that I'm going to try to do, especially with my just starting son, is to make him have a "language centered" education. I've had my daughter doing Latin for 2.5 years (she's in Henle) and I'm going to try to start her in Greek this next year... With my son, I believe I will dedicate more time.

LCC, to me..not saying this is what HE:-) meant to be saying, is about keeping curriculum"simple." BUT, not easy material. Teaching in a way that's more of a classical curriculum, rather that teaching many classes that you're trying to teach in a "classical" way.

I'm also reading Climbing Parnassus. These are very interesting to me. Worth the money:-) BUT, you can check out your library, too.

:-)

I'm with you on the not wanting to wear out the dc. Here's some religious content...WARNING...I don't think God made us to be worn out and stretched so thin and generally overloaded. He made us for what is good and beautiful and worthy. This has really been on my mind lately after reading a book by Michael O'Brien called A Landscape with Dragons which carefully critiques children's literature and contemporary media. He makes a brief comment about the sheer number of books that are available today, and it got me thinking about LCC and how the great minds throughout history must have been educated. I realized not that many books were available, but those that were available were probably worthwhile--for the most part though not exclusively, of course. Considering this I realized LCC and the classics recommended in it are really something I want to explore much more as I plan my dc's educational futures.

On a recent post on the high school board, Plaid Dad offered a concise description of the LCC method: Math, Composition and Latin everyday. Other subjects, once a week.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I'm using the opportunity you presented to voice my jumbled thoughts.:)

I'd say that LCC 2nd edition is what you want.

Obviously I'm terribly biased, but I have to agree. I was able to make a lot of improvements to the second edition based on reader feedback. The philosophy is the same, of course, but the second edition is much more user-friendly and covers a lot more practical ground than the first edition. :)

On a recent post on the high school board, Plaid Dad offered a concise description of the LCC method: Math, Composition and Latin everyday. Other subjects, once a week.

I agree with your post.

We are thinking along the same lines, it appears.

What about the lcc recs for jr high?

That's where I am now, and what I'm concerned with.

Our list of classes that we are cover every week:

math 5x, literature 5x, grammar 5x, latin 5x, spelling 5x, history 3x, geography 3x, writing 3x, memory and poetry 5x, typing 5x, science 3x, chess 3x, art and music appreciation 1xeach, shakespeare 1x.

I'm exhausted, and after reading through the wtm again, I still wonder if we are doing enough. Where do I fit in a foreign language, musical instrument or other extras? This cannot be the best way to go about this. AND, I'm wondering how many years I can do this before burning out~~~~~~:tongue_smilie:

I have to say that I believe our minds were meant to be stretched past their limit and then allowed to relax. Much like you use your body to work until exhausted and then relax. My dad is what most would consider a Scholar in Theology and Law. He use to say that he thought until his brain hurt. BUT, this is how he covered so much material and digested so much. It's not all easy; I don't believe it was meant to be. You can't truly be fully educated unless you are willing to work as hard with your brain as you should be willing to work with your hands to contribute and provide for your family. Work when you're young is just different than work as an adult...although of course as an adult you continue to educate yourself. When you're an adult, you use the material that you've obtained as a child to provide for your family, and to live your life in such a way as to celebrate what God has gifted you with.

Nayfiesmama,

I appreciate your post and perspective.

That makes a lot of sense.

It is amazing how much learning we can accomplish in a week!

I'm just not certain that I am doing enough in this phase of our school life.

The middle grades are intimidating, at least to me, because of what they are going to be covering in the classical hs years......

AND, this is uncharted ground for me.

Being the oldest, I don't want to screw up my oldest.:D

It's a birth order thing, I'm sure~ ;)

Nayfiesmama,

I appreciate your post and perspective.

That makes a lot of sense.

It is amazing how much learning we can accomplish in a week!

I'm just not certain that I am doing enough in this phase of our school life.

The middle grades are intimidating, at least to me, because of what they are going to be covering in the classical hs years......

AND, this is uncharted ground for me.

Being the oldest, I don't want to screw up my oldest.:D

It's a birth order thing, I'm sure~ ;)

We are kindred spirits :)

:iagree: w/ everything you said.

You might find some insight from this thread regarding LCC and high school.

I love Drew & his book(s). Maybe we can sweet-talk him into a "live" webcast/webinar sometime. Skype party?

We are kindred spirits :)

:iagree: w/ everything you said.

You might find some insight from this thread regarding LCC and high school.

I love Drew & his book(s). Maybe we can sweet-talk him into a "live" webcast/webinar sometime. Skype party?

Thank you for the thread.

I can't wait to check it out.

Sign me up for the webcast!

My skype info is listed on my profile.

I'll be waiting for my invite.......

I'd even be happy to pay admission!;)

Just to add some humor and to take some pressure off... of course you'll screw up your oldest. That's whay you have an oldest! They are the guinnea pigs;) Quite thinking you might not, it just adds too much pressure.

BTW. as much as I messed up with my oldest she is an amazing young woman despite me:001_smile:

For me, LCC is much easier to implement. When I first started homeschooling, I tried to implement all of WTM. I found myself overwhelmed, drowning in materials, and I ran my son a little ragged.

That it is hard to find a used LCC book says something about the book and the folks who own it....

LCC 2nd edition is worth buying new.

Once you've gotten started with LCC 2nd edition, I would make a pitch for finding the 1st edition used, if possible. The 1st edition has many slightly older/out of print/harder to find books in the reading lists. In actuality, these books are not so hard to find, either in the library or used, and many of them are very good reads.

(Alternatively, the next edition of the book or the LCC web site could include a list of the recommended materials from the 1st edition -- hint, hint.)