Menu

Does anyone know this children's game?

A coin with a hole in the middle is placed on a large string loop. All the kids but one are in a circle holding the string in their hands. They move their hands from side to side as if they are passing the coin around the circle. The last child is in the center and tries to spot the child who really has the coin in their hand.

There is some sort of rhyme that goes along with the passing. I think that they game is Danish, but there might be something similar from other countries with coins that have holes.

But we didn't use a coin, it was just a rock. Well, it was a camp game so really it was whatever small thing we could find. OK, and there was no string. We sat in a circle and actually passed the rock around, everyone moving their hands as if they passes the rock each time.

"Rock, rock, where do you wander?

From one hand into another.

Is it here? Is it there?

See poor (name) standing there."

Is it here? Is it there?

Awesome. You guys ARE better than google. I can easily adapt that rhyme to a coin. I was really stuck because I'd learned it in Germany with a German translation of a Danish rhyme. That was just not coming up in my searches.

But we didn't use a coin, it was just a rock. Well, it was a camp game so really it was whatever small thing we could find. OK, and there was no string. We sat in a circle and actually passed the rock around, everyone moving their hands as if they passes the rock each time.

Is it here? Is it there?

I've heard the same rhyme but with the word "button" instead of "rock" (and instead of a rock, you passed (can you guess?) a BUTTON!)