Menu

How do you do Singapore 1A?

I'm lost! I'm going to be placing my order soon and I am planning on buying the Tm and 1a textbook and workbook also the word problem book. Now am I suspose to buy something else?

Your fine! The Intensive Problems book takes the work in the current level one step farther in difficulty. I hs year around, so they are fill for us.

The Word books are not necessary either, but they are good review/practice at the same level as the primary books.

The other one the OP mentions I have no clue about. :D

Heather

Hi gals,

I need to buy SM 1 A for dd 5 who does Saxon at her classical school. I will do SM at home with her.

Please tell me what I need.

Heather, Do you purchase locally in PDX?

Thanks!!

Hmmm, not sure that 1A would be a good fit. Generally in Singapore (the country) they don't start 1A until a child has tuned 7yo. If you look at Singapore as grade level then you would have a child starting Algebra in 7th grade. Even the Singapore Math website states that only an advanced 2nd grader would do 2A and 2B in one year. An advanced student would do 1B and 2A. Though many Singapore users will go a whole year behind (given the US usually starts Algebra in 8th) and do 1A and 1B for 2nd.

All that to suggest you might want to consider the Early Bird books instead. Or buy the extra books, so that if she hits a wall in the main text you can switch over to Word Problems or Extra Practice and have her start with the easy stuff again. Does that make sense?

I usually buy from SL, but you can get them locally. It looks like both Exodus Books and Kingfisher Curriculum Cove carry them, though I would call and make sure they have the one's you want in stock. I would hate for you to drive down and find out they were having someone else ship them in their name or something like that. I haven't been to either, just know there are there if I need them. :D

Heather

Hi Heather!

We're almost done w/ Earlybird and I'm looking for something for first grade. I assumed it was 1A. I better do some more digging.

Thanks!!

Beth,

I think you could use it, but not move on to 1B. Instead use the Extra Practice book and Half the Word Problems as filler...or you never know she might breeze through and be fine. Before I knew all this I started my oldest at the beginning of 1st grade, and she did fine for the first half the book, but then hit a wall when they started taking away the visual manipulative. You would have an advantage over me because 1. you will understand that if your dd hits a wall she just needs time, and 2. there is an HIG book out now that will probalby have lots of helps and games and filler. Only the Rosenbaum (sp-too lazy to look it up right now) guides were available, and they were geared towards classroom use. I was too green to figure out how to modify the activities, so we had to just drop Singapore for a while.

Now I also use RS math, but that is also largely due to the fact that I have 3 hands on learners.

Heather

Beth,

I think you could use it, but not move on to 1B. Instead use the Extra Practice book and Half the Word Problems as filler...or you never know she might breeze through and be fine. Before I knew all this I started my oldest at the beginning of 1st grade, and she did fine for the first half the book, but then hit a wall when they started taking away the visual manipulative. You would have an advantage over me because 1. you will understand that if your dd hits a wall she just needs time, and 2. there is an HIG book out now that will probalby have lots of helps and games and filler. Only the Rosenbaum (sp-too lazy to look it up right now) guides were available, and they were geared towards classroom use. I was too green to figure out how to modify the activities, so we had to just drop Singapore for a while.

Now I also use RS math, but that is also largely due to the fact that I have 3 hands on learners.

Heather

Thanks Heather!