Menu

I have been toying with the idea of switching our school day around a bit. I'd like to start working with one child on their teacher intensive subjects while the other does independent work and plays, followed by the "together subjects", then the teacher intensive subjects with the next child while the first does any independent work and plays.

The problem I'm running into is the play time. I mean, it IS still school time, and they have to play alone, and they can't be constantly interrupting me to show me or sibling something.....

So I'm thinking of coming up with theme boxes filled with educational, independent, easy to figure out/set up/work materials (appropriate for 7 and 9 yos). I've thought of math/science filled with pattern blocks, geoboards, blocks, legos; art filled with picture study, playdough, wikki sticks, misc. art supplies like tissue paper, pipe cleaners, etc; role play filled with dolls, play food, dress up stuff; and a reading basket that they could have access to only during school time. I'd like to have 5 to 10 boxes put together, covering a variety of subjects, that I could rotate through to keep things fresh. Any ideas? I know that there are a lot of pre school age ideas out there, but what about elementary?

I'd really like to start doing school this way. The focused time on one child helps me to teach effectively, unlike the way we do it now, where I sit them both down at the table, and try to teach two different levels at two different speeds from two different books. I've combined as much as I can, but some subjects you just can't combine.

Thanks for making it through this long mess, and for any suggestions you have!

I have the same problem with my boys, almost 9 & 7. Math and grammar are the subjects that require the most mommy time, so to speak. Here's how I do it, with varying degrees of success (depending on, well...boys)

I start my older boy on some more independent subjects. I give him his materials and tell him what he needs to do. For example, spelling workbook, read history lesson, do 2 pages of handwriting.

Then I get started on math with the younger. If the older gets done before I'm done with math, he reads to himself (I either give him the book I've decided he needs to read or let him pick from any book in the classroom. He usually ends up looking through one of the Usborn encyclopedias).

When math is done with younger, I get him started on something that is more independent, like handwriting (which could take a loooooonnnnngggg time. Lots of complaining, but no need for help) or an easy crossword puzzle, which he loves.

When younger is set up, older & I do math and grammar. Younger usually ends up taking a break upstairs while older & I finish up grammar.

Then older takes his snack break while younger comes back down to do grammar.

Then the "together" subjects are tackled.

As I re-read this I realize it looks very good...on paper. :tongue_smilie: We have our struggles. The only time it goes super-smooth are days like today, when dh took one kid to the library & I stayed home with the other. Throw dd into the mix (she goes to preschool outside the home 3 days per week) and we spend almost as much time fussing & interrupting as school kids spend standing in line!

we spend almost as much time fussing & interrupting as school kids spend standing in line!

Wow! I could have written your post. We do school in a similar fashion. I love the above excerpt and it made me laugh out loud. I have twins so that creates even more problems especially since one dawdles and one just wants to be done, but they both take turns complaining. We have a lot of corrections to make on that front. :001_huh:

Sounds like you have a great list of activities here is just another suggestion to fill time:

When we had this issue, we used a lot of fun logic style puzzles during those hours. There are countless workbooks of logic problems, software, and computer websites. I used to start with books on the easy side, so they could gain confidence and be independent and then work up to more complicated puzzles. There are a lot of educational websites that have crossword puzzles or tie ins to your lessons as well.

DD10 used to like to do the Wordly Wise vocab books. We started over at the beginning and she worked through until she hit her own grade level. The first ones the "level A, B, C" are cute and fun, the numbered ones are more difficult but easily independent subjects.

The Explode The Code books are easy to do independently also.

The Thinking Company has great logic software that is easy for kids that age too. I think it has a 'hint' button if they get stuck.

Books on tape/cd from the library are nice for these times too. I used to pull the reading list from the different publishers and try to use some of those books. Veritas, Sonlight etc.

I used to buy the books, then photo copy off the pages so we could do them over later.